 Administrative / General / 1658
Re: What little loc groups are best for
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 14:21:11 GMT

In article <MPG.11a66ea25894cd67989995@lugnet.com>, Todd Lehman
<lehman@javanet.com> writes

What if the first thing you see is this...

  http://www.lugnet.com/loc/uk/

...and in place of the links which appear there today (14 May 1999), you see
snippets of several messages posted by people?

Yes, this is good. Possibly a bit more prominence could be given to the
links in the top left, but it shows you where the action is :-)

Would something like this be helpful?--

  http://www.lugnet.com/sitemap.cgi?/loc/uk/&d=3

And, would it be even more helpful if it gave you some idea of the relative
sizes of each group?

This is useful as another view of the above, and would be better with
the sizes as well.

I prefer the first one, but then I'm used to hierarchical databases.

Still, it gives you the big picture first, with an idea of the level of
activity, and allows you to address a geographical area as large or
small as you wish.

I like it.

BTW, my newsreader just gives me a list of groups to subscribe to, in
alpha order, so loc.uk is before loc.uk.ch.che. There wasn't anything
happening in the local one so I went straight to the national one.

Having been on RTL for a while, and seen the small number of posters
from the UK, this seemed logical to me.

But someone who hits Lugnet while surfing doesn't know this, so guiding
them through the alternatives, as the first page above does, seems the
best thing to do.

Hope this helps.
--
Tony Priestman