 Administrative / General / 1368
Re: lugnet.cad hierarhcy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 22:11:53 GMT

Hmm.  It may take a while for me to warm up to this setup.  I actually like
having the discussion of models/parts separate from the cad.dat group.  When I
hear people raving about a model I might find interesting, then I'm motivated
to check it out on cad.dat.  If a discussion about a part starts up, its nice
that people other than part authors join the discussion, maybe to make a point
about numbering systems, desired part quality, etc.  I think it's important to
have our programmers see what kinds of issues come up related to parts, but
they probably don't check most of the actual .dat posts (just guessing here,
feel free to set me straight.)

The main reason I see for separating parts and sets is that those groups will
function as archives for the part/set .dat files.  If I want to see what parts
have been posted since the last official update, I could check the
cad.dat.parts and have the previous 20 parts listed in a row (looking from the
web viewing).  If the discussion is mixed with the .dat content, I might have
to wade through hundreds of posts to find the last 20 parts posted.

I'd hate to see the .cad discussion overly fragmented by spreading it over 6
different groups.  If we were at the point where we were getting 50 posts/day
about parts, 50/day about ldraw.org, 50/day about set posts, etc. I could see
splitting the discussion.  But at this point I think the two discussion groups
manage the level of discussion pretty well.

Simply having a cad.dat.parts group with followups to cad.dev would solve the
problem of having to change the followup field.

-John Van