 CAD / Development / 1286
Re: newsgroup name for ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:08:29 GMT

At 04:16 AM 4/14/99 +0000, Todd Lehman wrote:
Hmm...that has the advantage of being able to rapidly find and scan through
all of the associated *.org sites, and a nice clean organization, but it has
the disadvantage of the groups being separated from their most logical
positions in the ng tree.  For example, many of the people who participate
in baylug.org also post to the ba-lego@cinnamon.com mailing list, which is
gatewayed with the lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf (San Francisco, California)
newsgroup.  If you were visiting the web page on LUGNET for the San
Francisco bay area,

  http://www.lugnet.com/loc/us/ca/sf/

and you did a localized search, it wouldn't include lugnet.org.baylug in the
search because it's outside of the lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf hierarchy.

But couldn't you add some link between the groups in your newsgroup
software so that they are associated?

I kinda like the idea of mapping Internet domains in reverse order to make
newsgroup names, but I think they would need to all go under some common
hierarchy otherwise they'd be alphabetically all mixed together.  (Without
this, .com would sit between .cad and .db and .org would sit between .off-
topic and .publish.)

Aah... Could we introduce domain-specific discussion that suppliments the
topic discussion of groups like:

trains
cad.dev
loc.us.ca.sf

But is discussion that is relevant to the specific site a group represents,
like...

domains.org.ldraw
domains.org.pnltc
domains.org.baylug

Or is there a better way to organize the groups?

How would domains.org.ldraw suppliment cad.dev?  Would this group be used
for the maintenance and discussion of aspects of *the site* rather than
aspects of Ldraw and support programs that the site features??  This seems
logical to me right now...  Would these other domains be interested in this?

Another problem is perception issues of what 'lugnet.org' or 'lugnet.com'
would mean to people as a newsgroup/hierarchy...I think that's too
misleading.

Right, it is misleading.  A .domains group would be useful...

Could there possibly be just a lugnet.domains discussion group on the need
for domains for various Lego-related organizations, or is this pushing it a
little?

In any case, if there were some inverse mapping of Internet domains, here's
how they would sort alphabetically in the *.org.* area...

  lugnet.org.baylug
  lugnet.org.gmltc
  lugnet.org.ldraw
  lugnet.org.pnltc

Notice that .gmltc and .pnltc -- very similar in nature -- are separated by
something completely unrelated to them.  What will this linear list look
like in 3-10 years when there are 15 or 50 other domains?

Hmmm, the train clubs would naturally want to be in the same area where
they can be easily identified.

It does have one really nice advantage, though -- the names are all fairly
short.  In my mind, though, that's outweighed by all the other
disadvantages.  In particular, I really like the thought of a special group
lugnet.trains.org for people to help plan and talk about how to set up more
clubs like PNLTC and GMLTC.  This is forward-expandable to
lugnet.trains.org.pnltc and lugnet.trains.org.gmltc if those clubs ever

decided that they wanted discussion areas or mailing lists.

Sounds like a good solution for the train people...

Anytime; it's very easy.  As soon as a name is settled on, basically.
I don't want to rush it, though (not until I have a good solid gut feeling
on it, which didn't happen until just a few hours ago).

So -- are there any objections to this ng name--?

  lugnet.cad.org.ldraw

That works well for me.  Depends on whether (sp?) you want to use my
.domains suggestion.  Then again, this is probably better since thre can be
groups like

lugnet.trains.org
lugnet.trains.org.pnltc
lugnet.trains.org.gmltc

And then the train people are happy that they are under their own heirarchy.

Go with lugnet.cad.org.ldraw, its fine with me.

This would have one associated web page,

  http://www.lugnet.com/cad/org/ldraw/

Which would contain a link to www.ldraw.org and contain the web interface to
the newsgroup articles for the group, and the hierarchy labels at the top of
the page would read:

  CAD / Organizations / LDraw /

Ahhh... :)  Sounds cool.

Finally, Tim (or anyone), what would you have as a charter for the ng?

I would set the charter at discussion of aspects of the site such as design
and content, legal rights, contributions, format, and the maintenance of it
in the future.  It can also be an area for people to ask questions if they
need help on the site (rather than emailing webmaster@ldraw.org, or
supplemental to such).  But this group would have to be kept to different
things as they relate to the site.  A good idea would be to have discussion
on software distribution from the site in the site's format, one of the
features I am strongly for but am not sure where individual program authors
stand on.

Obviously you can write that into an attractive concise little charter.
Its 11:06, and even though I usually go to bed at 12, I'm soooo tired since
I got 4 and a half hours of sleep last night. :)

Latest on the site -- I've been looking at fonts all night, I didn't find
an adequate one on my computer.  I also need to take a picture of a red 2x3
brick on the digital camera at school instead of screwing with l3p - if I
can get a good closeup I can let Photoshop do the rest for icons and use
one of the studs as a stud bullet.

I'll also be looking at various site designs in the near future to see what
some others have done with graphics....

Keep Building!!

-Tim <><

http://www.zacktron.com

AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

You've seen their sites and read their posts, now see their faces:
RTL/LUGNET Legofest 1999: http://www.zacktron.com/legofest/

LEGO: SP++++c(6973)[ip++++ bt2++++ ex+++ ft+++ sp+++ ut++]
AQ+++(6175)[an+++ as++ hn-- sr--] TO++[ob+ dv+ tc-- tt-- tjr.---] TC++ CA+
PI+ BV--- DU--- HM--- S+ LS>+++  #++++  Hal M+ A+ YB82m