 CAD / Development / 1280
Re: newsgroup name for ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:16:06 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, tcourtney@avenew.com (Tim Courtney) writes:
At 09:03 PM 4/13/99 +0000, Sproaticus wrote:
How about something like:

lugnet.org.ldraw  -> www.lugnet.com/org/ldraw
lugnet.org.baylug -> www.lugnet.com/org/baylug
lugnet.org.pnltc  -> www.lugnet.com/org/pnltc
lugnet.org.gmltc  -> www.lugnet.com/org/gmltc
etc...

Hmm...that has the advantage of being able to rapidly find and scan through
all of the associated *.org sites, and a nice clean organization, but it has
the disadvantage of the groups being separated from their most logical
positions in the ng tree.  For example, many of the people who participate
in baylug.org also post to the ba-lego@cinnamon.com mailing list, which is
gatewayed with the lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf (San Francisco, California)
newsgroup.  If you were visiting the web page on LUGNET for the San
Francisco bay area,

   http://www.lugnet.com/loc/us/ca/sf/

and you did a localized search, it wouldn't include lugnet.org.baylug in the
search because it's outside of the lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf hierarchy.

Similarly, lugnet.org.pnltc and lugnet.org.gmltc are outside of the
lugnet.trains hierarchy.  However, lugnet.trains is outside of the
lugnet.loc.us hierarchy.  However, Vancouver, British Columbia (Canada)
isn't part of the U.S. but people from Vancouver have visited PNLTC shows.
So no matter where these groups went (assuming they existed), the placement
wouldn't be 100% perfect.

Is the paradigm lugnet.d1.d2 (where d1 is a first level domain and d2 is a
second level domain) extensible into other first-level domains in a nice
way?  Other first-level domains are .com, .net, .gov, and country-specific
domains such as .us, .uk, .au, .dk, .de, etc.

I kinda like the idea of mapping Internet domains in reverse order to make
newsgroup names, but I think they would need to all go under some common
hierarchy otherwise they'd be alphabetically all mixed together.  (Without
this, .com would sit between .cad and .db and .org would sit between .off-
topic and .publish.)

Another problem is perception issues of what 'lugnet.org' or 'lugnet.com'
would mean to people as a newsgroup/hierarchy...I think that's too
misleading.

In any case, if there were some inverse mapping of Internet domains, here's
how they would sort alphabetically in the *.org.* area...

   lugnet.org.baylug
   lugnet.org.gmltc
   lugnet.org.ldraw
   lugnet.org.pnltc

Notice that .gmltc and .pnltc -- very similar in nature -- are separated by
something completely unrelated to them.  What will this linear list look
like in 3-10 years when there are 15 or 50 other domains?

It does have one really nice advantage, though -- the names are all fairly
short.  In my mind, though, that's outweighed by all the other
disadvantages.  In particular, I really like the thought of a special group
lugnet.trains.org for people to help plan and talk about how to set up more
clubs like PNLTC and GMLTC.  This is forward-expandable to
lugnet.trains.org.pnltc and lugnet.trains.org.gmltc if those clubs ever
decided that they wanted discussion areas or mailing lists.

Probably better IMO.  How soon can a group be set up, Todd?

Anytime; it's very easy.  As soon as a name is settled on, basically.
I don't want to rush it, though (not until I have a good solid gut feeling
on it, which didn't happen until just a few hours ago).

So -- are there any objections to this ng name--?

   lugnet.cad.org.ldraw

This would have one associated web page,

   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/org/ldraw/

Which would contain a link to www.ldraw.org and contain the web interface to
the newsgroup articles for the group, and the hierarchy labels at the top of
the page would read:

   CAD / Organizations / LDraw /

Finally, Tim (or anyone), what would you have as a charter for the ng?

--Todd