 CAD / Development / 1356
Re: lugnet.cad hierarhcy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 00:25:15 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
Thumbs up?  Thumbs down?

Thumbs-up from me, except:  There's no need to use "ld" when "ldraw" will
suffice.  Ditto for "sw"<->"software", etc.

But abbreviations are good -- and important things for newsgroup hierarchies
and URLs, especially where future growth is possible.

Abbreviated, you have

   lugnet.cad
   lugnet.cad.dev
   lugnet.cad.ld
   lugnet.cad.ld.ideas
   lugnet.cad.ld.models
   lugnet.cad.ld.models.scenes
   lugnet.cad.ld.models.sets
   lugnet.cad.ld.parts
   lugnet.cad.ld.parts.prim
   lugnet.cad.ld.sw
   lugnet.cad.ray

Unabbreviated, you have

   lugnet.cad
   lugnet.cad.development
   lugnet.cad.ldraw
   lugnet.cad.ldraw.ideas
   lugnet.cad.ldraw.models
   lugnet.cad.ldraw.models.scenes
   lugnet.cad.ldraw.models.sets
   lugnet.cad.ldraw.parts
   lugnet.cad.ldraw.parts.primitives
   lugnet.cad.ldraw.software
   lugnet.cad.ray-tracing

In the unabbreviated versions, what do you when LDLITE or L3P reaches
critical mass enough to benefit from a support group?  Even if there weren't
a newsgroup for it, the LDraw software category would probably split into
subcategories on the website, and the URLs there should remain short and
correspond to the newsgroup names.  So you would be talking about possible
names someday such as

    lugnet.cad.ldraw.software.ldao
    lugnet.cad.ldraw.software.ldlite
    lugnet.cad.ldraw.software.l3p
    etc.

versus

    lugnet.cad.ldraw.sw.ldao
    lugnet.cad.ldraw.sw.ldlite
    lugnet.cad.ldraw.sw.l3p
    etc.

Excessively long newsgroup names take longer to type, make listboxes wider
(sometimes clipped), make crossposting lists harder to grok, etc.

Note that although the URLs for the web pages mirror the name components of
the newsgroups, the labels on the pages can be nice and expressive.  For
example, the lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf.sj newsgroup shows up at
http://www.lugnet.com/loc/us/ca/sf/sj/ in a very reasonable form:

   Local / United States / California / San Francisco / San Jose /

How long does it take a geek to memorize the ld = ldraw and that
sw = software?

Which of the following would you rather send e-mails to?

   a) lugnet.cad.ldraw.software.ldao@lugnet.com
   b) lugnet.cad.ld.sw.ldao@lugnet.com

Which of the following would you rather receive e-mails from?

   a) lugnet.cad.ldraw.software.ldao=digest@lugnet.com
   b) lugnet.cad.ld.sw.ldao=digest@lugnet.com

CAD is a very well-known and long-established acronym.  I submit that LD is
as well (albeit to a lesser degree and localized to LEGO fans), but that it
just hasn't sunk in yet in a major way.

You may be surprised how long the list is already where LD = LDraw:

   1) LDAO = LDraw Add-On
   2) LDLITE = LDraw Lite
   3) LDL = LDraw Launcher
   4) LDD = LDraw Draw
   5) LD2VR = LDraw to VRML converter
   6) SL2LD = SimLego to LDraw converter
   etc...

The only other thing in computers that 'sw' ever stands for besides
'software' is 'Star Wars'...  :)

Whew.  Well, there's my defense of abbreviations.  Now how strongly do you
disagree?

--Todd