 CAD / Development / 1511
Re: lugnet.cad hierarhcy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 16:09:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Todd Lehman writes:
Snip<
  Newsgroup                       Followup-To
  ============================    ==================
  lugnet.cad.dat.ideas            lugnet.cad
  lugnet.cad.dat.models           lugnet.cad
  lugnet.cad.dat.models.sets      lugnet.cad
  lugnet.cad.dat.parts            lugnet.cad.dev
  lugnet.cad.dat.parts.prim       lugnet.cad.dev
  lugnet.cad.dat.scenes           lugnet.cad

I'm not keen on separating the data from the discussions, but neither are
some other people keen on putting them together.

I like the above groups and follow-ups quite well.  You might consider adding
lugnet.cad.dat.models.alt (followup-to lugnet.cad).

Open questions:

1.  Is lugnet.cad.dat.* the best place to locate these new groups?

Unless you wanted a lugnet.cad-dat.* heirarchy.  Either way works.

2.  Should discussion be allowed or prevented in these groups?  That is,
   should follow-ups to postings be directed to a different group, namely
   either lugnet.cad or lugnet.cad.dev?  (See
      http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.cad.dev:1343
   for reasons in support of allowing discussion in the groups.)

IMHO the main reason for dividing up cad.dat is to create compact archives of
parts, sets, MOC's, etc.  If discussion were going to be in the same group as
the .dat posts, I would just as soon allow parts to be posted directly to
cad.dev, and models,sets,scenes posted directly to lugnet.cad.  I do realize
others differ in their opinions on this.

3.  Are URLs like
      http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/
      http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dat/models/sets/
   tolerable and understandable?  Or is it best if /ldraw/ appears in
   there somewhere?

Quite tolerable.  I think pretty much everyone understands the special
connection between LDraw and Lego cad.  We say "I 'ldrew' this model" even
though we might have used LDAO's modeler and LDLite to create and view it.
These days, LDraw is more a reference to the basic structure of the data than
it is a reference to a specific renderer, modeler, etc.  I think the "dat"
captures this essense and identifies that it means data posts.

-John Van