 CAD / Development / 1571
Re: lugnet.cad hierarhcy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 20:14:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, john_vanzwieten@email.msn.com (John VanZwieten) writes:
[...]
Well, jeez, Todd, you designed this thing, we expect you to know its
features-- especially such a cool feature as this :-)

One of my talents as a UI-guy is to be able to forget things like that and
go into situations fresh.  (Maybe I did too much LDS at Berkeley.  ;-)

Another real bummer with the way things currently are is posts like this
(not pointing any fingers! -- just giving examples):

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.cad.dev:452
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.cad:66
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.cad:1170

These messages are of course all variations on the theme of "Hey I just
posted a foofoo to lugnet.cad.dat -- check it out and let me know what
you think."  Now, nobody's done anything wrong by posting these, but --
Ugh -- how unfortunate it is that this sort of thing becomes necessary
when discussions are separated from data.  :-/  And with more groups,
it'll only get worse.

But if the .dat file post serves as the announcement, then it would often
need to be cross-posted to several groups, i.e. .cad and .starwars, or
.robotics and .build and .cad.  But the other groups can't (at least now)
view the .dat files directly with LDLite.

True, even with discussions in the .dat groups, there will still be the
occasional need, to point -at- them in new posts in other groups.  One way
around that of course would simply be to allow DAT content in all groups --
a la "LDraw -- resistance is futile!".  :)  But what I really just meant was
that (a) these types of "hey, go look" posts would decrease in a good way
with integrated discussions and (b) they would increase in a bad way with
non-integrated discussions.  The only way to completely eliminate them would
be to allow DAT content in any group -- which -- ahem -- maybe, just, maybe
wouldn't be too bad an idea, as long as people were encouraged to cross-post
to the appropriate .dat sub-group, for example crossposting to .dat.models
when posting something to .starwars.

--Todd