 CAD / Development / 1291
Re: newsgroup name for ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 05:01:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Todd Lehman writes:
In any case, if there were some inverse mapping of Internet domains, here's
how they would sort alphabetically in the *.org.* area...
  lugnet.org.baylug
  lugnet.org.gmltc
  lugnet.org.ldraw
  lugnet.org.pnltc
Notice that .gmltc and .pnltc -- very similar in nature -- are separated by
something completely unrelated to them.  What will this linear list look
like in 3-10 years when there are 15 or 50 other domains?

Arg.  Good point.

It does have one really nice advantage, though -- the names are all fairly
short.  In my mind, though, that's outweighed by all the other
disadvantages.  In particular, I really like the thought of a special group
lugnet.trains.org for people to help plan and talk about how to set up more
clubs like PNLTC and GMLTC.  This is forward-expandable to
lugnet.trains.org.pnltc and lugnet.trains.org.gmltc if those clubs ever
decided that they wanted discussion areas or mailing lists.

Why the .org. then?  Why not lugnet.trains.pnltc and lugnet.trains.gmltc ?
The name is shorter and easier to remember.  They are separated from the
lugnet.trains group, yet they're still associated with it.

So -- are there any objections to this ng name--?
  lugnet.cad.org.ldraw

Yes, see my objection to .org. above.

This would have one associated web page,
  http://www.lugnet.com/cad/org/ldraw/
Which would contain a link to www.ldraw.org and contain the web interface to
the newsgroup articles for the group, and the hierarchy labels at the top of
the page would read:
  CAD / Organizations / LDraw /

A very good point in favor of keeping the .org. level.  Hmmm, it seems to me
to be a tradeoff between fewer keystrokes and ease of recall, and a more
discrete organization.  Tough call.

...Which is why I don't manage portal sites!  :-,

Cheers,
- jsproat