 CAD / Development / 1556
Re: lugnet.cad hierarhcy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:58:23 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
No, separate the discussions from these groups.  It's extremely
frustrating to find source when it's scattered amongst ten times more
messages discussing it, discussing realted threads, discussing off-topic
threads, flaming, etc.
How strongly do you really feel about that?

Pretty strong.  I have given up for now looking for real content on
news://news.povray.org/povray.text.scene-files because 95%+ of the messages
are nothing but discussion, requests, and flames (not the POVRay kind,
unfortunately).

It seems to me that all one
has to do to find the source is to climb to the top of the thread tree,
which can be done by looking for the absence of "Re:" in the Subject line,
or by clicking the collapse-thread button in one's newsreader, or by
clicking to the top node if reading via the web interface.

Nope.  Murphey's Law #327:  If there's nothing stopping someone from posting
DAT content in a sub-thread, it will happen a lot.

Here are the usability problems that I encountered --
[snip]

Fooey -- that durned user-error issue.

Is there any way to regulate the newsgroups with DAT content?

Another thought:  Do you store the DAT content separately from the other ng
files, or can you get a listing of them fairly easily?  If you can make your
search engine find posts with DAT content, I think that would solve my
issue.

Cheers,
- jsproat

"I prefer the term para-mental.  It keeps me out of the loony bin."