 CAD / Development / 1549
Re: lugnet.cad hierarhcy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 11:42:47 GMT

Sproaticus skrev i meddelandet <372473FF.4BCB8A59@geocities.com>...
Todd Lehman wrote:

2.  Should discussion be allowed or prevented in these groups? • That is,
    should follow-ups to postings be directed to a different group, • namely
    either lugnet.cad or lugnet.cad.dev?  (See
       http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.cad.dev:1343
    for reasons in support of allowing discussion in the groups.)

No, separate the discussions from these groups.  It's extremely • frustrating
to find source when it's scattered amongst ten times more messages
discussing it, discussing realted threads, discussing off-topic • threads,
flaming, etc.  If the followup-to were enforced, it'd be easier to • find the
discussions related to the models, even if they were in a separate • ng.

OTOH, it would be easier to follow the discussion, if the model _and_
discussion is in the same group.

I find it (mildly put) a bit irritating reading lugnet.cad, and
finding a post of the type 'Re: <some model>', but with no reference
to the cad.dat posting. Then I have to jump to cad.dat and try to find
the model, to see what everyone is talking about. In fact all types of
'follow-ups to <some other group>' confuses any reader (human) that is
not subscribing to the originating newsgroup.

I see a newsgroup as a _discussion_ forum, not a model repository,
that should be taken care of in some other way.

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery.htm