 CAD / Development / 1285
Re: Is there a Part creating Tutorial?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:01:47 GMT

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999 19:55:35 GMT, "Jeff Stembel" <Dragonelf1@aol.com> wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev, Terry Keller writes:
On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:11:16 GMT, "Jeff Stembel" <Dragonelf1@aol.com> wrote:

heya, Jeff.  :-)
Not any formal document. (1)
But I do have one _very_ important suggestion:
Do NOT use BMP2DAT for transforming bitmaps to ldraw code.

I used the BMP to Dat converter that is in Steve's LDraw Add-on.  Is that
acceptable?  If not, do you have any suggestions on what I should use?  Should
I *not* be making the patterns as bitmaps (i.e. use internal shapes instead)?

Nope.  That is the bad boy, AFAIK.
Actually, the people to ask about patterns are the ones that do good ones.  One
name that immediately springs to mind is Chris Dee.  And there are many others.
It is important to note the a good pattern has many of the characteristics of
basic piece construction - except using colors.  Simple bitmap application is
usually not the way to go.

It was a nifty little tool when first introduced, but it does not produce
acceptable patterns for inclusion in an official update.
The quality level is just too poor.  And besides, to do most patterns
correctly, the "face" of the part in question should be removed first.  Then
the pattern is inserted in its place, and then blank areas left over are
filled.
Simply trying to "stick" the pattern on the surface usually does not work to
well.

That's why you haven't seen any parts from me yet.  ;)  I noticed the floating
effect, which is one of the reasons I posted.  I've been trying (and dreading!)
to use rectangles to fill in the faces.

Yep.  Sounds like a PITA.  :-)

-- Terry K --