 CAD / Development / 1212
Re: Is there a Part creating Tutorial?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 02:50:42 GMT

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:11:16 GMT, "Jeff Stembel" <Dragonelf1@aol.com> wrote:

Hi Everybody!  This my first Intentional post to this group, and I hope it is
in the right place.

I was wondering if there was an LDraw Part Creation Tutorial.  I made some
bitmaps of Starwars decorations, and I'd like to make them into actual parts,
but I need to know how to make the rectangles that form the blank surfaces.
Thanks!!

Jeff

heya, Jeff.  :-)
Not any formal document. (1)
But I do have one _very_ important suggestion:
Do NOT use BMP2DAT for transforming bitmaps to ldraw code.

It was a nifty little tool when first introduced, but it does not produce
acceptable patterns for inclusion in an official update.
The quality level is just too poor.  And besides, to do most patterns
correctly, the "face" of the part in question should be removed first.  Then
the pattern is inserted in its place, and then blank areas left over are
filled.
Simply trying to "stick" the pattern on the surface usually does not work to
well.

-- Terry K --
1.  If you do intend on making parts, I do have a short guide to *submitting*
new pieces.  This is an attempt to simplify my job by standardizing dat files.
If you need this, let me know by email.    jjmemorial@geocities.com