 CAD / Development / 1314
Re: Is there a Part creating Tutorial?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:48:24 GMT

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:01:47 GMT, legoverse@geocities.com (Terry K) wrote:

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999 19:55:35 GMT, "Jeff Stembel" <Dragonelf1@aol.com> wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev, Terry Keller writes:
Do NOT use BMP2DAT for transforming bitmaps to ldraw code.

I used the BMP to Dat converter that is in Steve's LDraw Add-on.  Is that
acceptable?  If not, do you have any suggestions on what I should use?  Should
I *not* be making the patterns as bitmaps (i.e. use internal shapes instead)?

Nope.  That is the bad boy, AFAIK.

Two things:

1. I would *recommend* using BMP2DAT (or any similar tool) only to generate
a starting point.  Get an initial DAT with the pattern, and then replace
the pixel-commands with fewer, cleaner triangles and quads.

2. Some patterns are complex enough to condone use of the conversion tools.

Actually, the people to ask about patterns are the ones that do good ones.

That leaves me out. ;)

Steve