 CAD / Development / 1395
Re: Is there a Part creating Tutorial?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:28:34 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Terry Keller writes:
<snip>
Actually, the people to ask about patterns are the ones that do good ones. • One
name that immediately springs to mind is Chris Dee.  And there are many • others.
It is important to note the a good pattern has many of the characteristics of
basic piece construction - except using colors.  Simple bitmap application is
usually not the way to go.
<snip>
Gee thanks - didn't expect that.
I agree that bitmaps are only a starting point. For planer patterns, my
technique is to draw up onto graph paper then transfer manualy to LDraw
commands. It would be neat if I could draw polygons with a mouse on online
"graph paper" with some ability to set the granularity and magnification of the
grid (I generally measure/estimate to 0.5Ldu). If a right click inside a
polygon could copy the co-ordinates to the paste buffer, I could build LDraw
files more quickly. Even if it could display the co-ordinates in a fly-over box
in would help.

Non-planar patterns are another story - watch this space for more heads - any
preferences the community has may influence the order I do them (but so will
complexity and my enthusiasm) - let me know.

Chris