 CAD / Development / 1360
Re: Is there a Part creating Tutorial?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 00:38:32 GMT

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:48:24 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) wrote:

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:01:47 GMT, legoverse@geocities.com (Terry K) wrote:

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999 19:55:35 GMT, "Jeff Stembel" <Dragonelf1@aol.com> wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev, Terry Keller writes:
Do NOT use BMP2DAT for transforming bitmaps to ldraw code.

I used the BMP to Dat converter that is in Steve's LDraw Add-on.  Is that
acceptable?  If not, do you have any suggestions on what I should use?  Should
I *not* be making the patterns as bitmaps (i.e. use internal shapes instead)?

Nope.  That is the bad boy, AFAIK.

Two things:

1. I would *recommend* using BMP2DAT (or any similar tool) only to generate
a starting point.  Get an initial DAT with the pattern, and then replace
the pixel-commands with fewer, cleaner triangles and quads.

OK.  I concede that is a valid use.  As long as the part author has the
intention and the skill to "do the right thing" and not just use the output to
slap on a part.

2. Some patterns are complex enough to condone use of the conversion tools.

Again, OK.  You are right.
I was pretty much expressing my knee-jerk reaction.  Sorry.

-- Terry K --