 Administrative / General / 13058
Re: Random thought of the day
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:35:15 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
is Todd willing to give up the code to Lugnet?

(I'm sorry... I oft forget that everyone doesn't know all that I do.)

Yes, he did so when I went to Boston the first time.
That was my reason for meeting with him face-to-face.

Please consider me his buffer. [thinking...] ...I don't know how else to explain
this other than by saying, "He's now free from worrying about it anymore." with
the footnote that he might be available if needed, on a very limited basis.

I don't want anyone who's reading this to think that the World now has Todd's
code and tech support for it. That is not the case.

Also please understand that the code still *is* LUGNET right now, in other
words, it won't be broken off and handed out without serious discussion with me
first.

That said, DaveE can probably describe better for me, those messes better
avoided by beginning from scratch. assuming one wanted to continue LUGNET's
development.

If so, then there may be hope for the future of Lugnet.

Yup. There never wasn't hope.

Heh, you have a full time Perl coder handy? I don't. Wish I did. Wish it were
three years ago too.

Part of the work I've focused on by myself involves looking for such a person.
Someone outside LUGNET's Admin newsgroup.

I have heard that he has been very protective of the code.

Yes, he was. (though not for the same reasons some people might first guess.)

I see that as probably THE main stumbling block for the future of Lugnet.

?!? Yes, it's a big deal, I won't argue with that. And I don't want to sound
insulting, but do watch out for those other blocks. There are bigger ones,
heavier ones, and they're ALL CONNECTED.

It's more than I can type about right now. I'm sorry. Just feeling hard hit at
the moment. :-( It has been a sad day.

Having access to the code isn't probably so helpful as you'd think.  I had a
certain grim lunch with Todd in Boston a couple weeks ago, which followed a
rather dismal dinner with Dave, as I began to fathom the depth and scope of the
code issues. It would be better if you thought from scratch. But before anyone
even thinks about coding something, they need to deal with those other blocks
first, else there's no point.

I'll post some pieces of my conversations with other people to the LUGNET blog
later. They will provide more info. That'd be easier for me.