 Administrative / General / 13023
Re: Random thought of the day
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:59:19 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Timothy Gould wrote:
   Dear Lenny,

--SNIP--
   Well, I don’t like the implication that Lugnet wasn’t calm and peaceful BECAUSE of the Admins. As if we wanted everyone to call us names and be mean to us.

It was unneccasary in my opinion too. If it wasn’t intended as a barb it should have been written more carefully, if it was it was unneccesary and rude.

   But honestly, things get quiet because people stop caring. I mean, Suz has announced that unless something happens, Lugnet will be shut off on Oct 1. If anyone had made that claim two years ago, do you think there would be this quasi-silent acceptance? People just don’t care whether Lugnet lives or dies, and they have more fun on other forums anyways.

-Lenny

I’m not sure I agree with your statement that people stopped caring. Certainly I care very much about Suz’s news. Unfortunately, I feel somewhat disinclined to post on those sections of Lugnet not directly relevant to my own interests due to the backwards and forwards sniping that is so common to them. Particularly on a topic such as this one which is just begging for a massive sh**fight once someone says something someone else disagrees with.

Personally I’d very much like Lugnet to keep going. It has seen me through seven or eight years (give or take some RTL time) and the greater part of that has been very good. Lately there has been far too much infantile behaviour about so many issues that I almost can’t believe it. As a general rule I either ignore the posts, make rude comments about the behaviour to those around me or read through to amuse myself depending on my mood at the time.

I can understand the pressures on the (former) admin team and envy neither you lot, nor for that matter, Jake for the bs some people have heaped on you. I appreciate that for some people, Lugnet has probably become a lot less fun than it used to be, particularly if you are forced into arguments.

I do have to say though that Lugnet could continue quite happily as it is at present provided people learn to shut up. To paraphrase Suz, we should be here because we like to talk about Lego, not because we like to talk about talking about Lego.

Please don’t take anything in the email as an attack on you. I feel that your behaviour has been exemplary considering the duress you have oft been placed under.

Yours,

Tim

PS. Sorry if I’m posting to the wrong place. Not really sure where to post this too.

Hello Tim. You have every right to have your own opinion on how to interpret my post. Misread, I can understand how someone might think that I thought Lugnet was never calm. This was not my intention. I just noticed heated debates more often this year than I ever have, which (probably totally unrelated) ended with the resignation of many admins. This is *my* opinion, and I would appreciate not being mistaken for a barb-er or just plain rude. Everyone has opinions and not all of them can be or will be agreed upon. Either like it or don’t, but don’t think of it as rude or unnecessary until you consider that maybe it was meant as a nice “ahhhh, that’s better...” post.

I do care about Lugnet. I care enough to be willing to help adminning myself, BUT, that’s not my decision and I stand behind Todd and Suz in whatever they decide.

Furthermore, I could be just like you and take Lenny’s post out of context about other forums being more fun. But, I’m above it because I know what he really meant to say even though he could have worded it differently.

Bottom line?

Be nice, play fair, build LEGO and show off your awesome MOCs on the bestest ever LEGO Users Group Network that’s ever been created....

Rob www.brickmodder.net