 Administrative / General / 13055
Re: Random thought of the day
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:40:09 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

At the same time, I hope that path includes a place for LUGNET to continue in
some way. This place is really special - sure, there's complaining, there's a
nontrivial amount of negativity, but there's also a real sense of community that
extends beyond this particular domain. I think that without LUGNET, or something
like it, the LEGO community in general would suffer from fragmentation and loss
of overall identity. Maybe something else would rise to fill that gap, but it
would take time, and there's no guarantee of reaching the same level that we now
enjoy. There's history and a wealth of learned and shared information and
experiences, and as others have pointed out, LUGNET's essentially THE knowledge
repository for LEGO enthusiasts over the last several years. That's a pretty
powerful combination, and also more than a little intimidating, I'm sure.

Again, I wish you luck in find the path that's right for you, and if nothing
else, I'll see you at BrickFest!

Sincerely,
Kelly

Kelly I really appreciate your words, especially those in this last paragraph
that echos the way many of us feel.

My fear is also that no other site can pick up the slack, at least not in a
timely enough situation, as you mentioned. The more we factor off into smaller
groups and forums and private mailing lists the deeper the crevices that newbies
and those that don't have the time to check out a million sites or  those that
aren't active all the time are apt fall in.

Lugnet doesn't have to be everything for everything, nor could it ever be,  but
it's a great place for centralised info, and I would hate to lose that.

Janey "Red Brick"