 Administrative / General / 13054
Re: Random thought of the day
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:17:46 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Suzanne Rich Green wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur wrote:
I was sad that you all had to "resign", but you must recognise that LUGNET is
now a tiny bit better than it was?

No. If it was better, would Suz be taking the actions she's taking?

Don't confuse cause and effect.

- Kelly

Kelly, I hear you, but this is wrong.
I must take a moment to correct your assumption:

If I had to point to one reason over all others as to why I'm doing this right
now, it's because of my husband and our relationship being in jeopardy over my
working on LUGNET.

Suz,
Thanks for clarifying that. I wasn't actually having an issue with what you are
doing or why (and in many ways I'm in the same type of situation you are), but
more with Scott's assertion that LUGNET is better off because Larry, Frank,
Lenny, Tim and myself decided not to continue admin duties here. I didn't do a
whole lot besides kibbitzing, but Larry and Frank and Lennmeister did a ton of
behind-the-scenes stuff that I don't think ever was properly recognized: the
administrivia needed to keep things moving; and Tim was a dynamo that got things
going. I really hate to see all that effort and passion trivialized or derided.

As many others have mentioned here, I hope LUGNET is able to continue operation,
I consider it a vital component in a healthy LEGO enthusiast community. I also
understand (from personal experience running BZPower) the pressures involved in
keeping a community running; the guilt of not doing even more; the weight and
angst of responsibility to something that has grown and eats time and effort and
gives... well, it gives back a lot of things, but it's not always sustainable.
It's hard to maintain the same level of passion year after year. For my part,
there have been times in the past when I felt I couldn't continue responsibility
for a large community, and had to take breaks. Recently, that burden was
increased when one of BZP's co-owners retired to chase a well-deserved set of
opportunities (lucky so-and-so).

Believe me when I say I understand some of what you're going through, and I
really hope you find a path that makes you a happier person.

At the same time, I hope that path includes a place for LUGNET to continue in
some way. This place is really special - sure, there's complaining, there's a
nontrivial amount of negativity, but there's also a real sense of community that
extends beyond this particular domain. I think that without LUGNET, or something
like it, the LEGO community in general would suffer from fragmentation and loss
of overall identity. Maybe something else would rise to fill that gap, but it
would take time, and there's no guarantee of reaching the same level that we now
enjoy. There's history and a wealth of learned and shared information and
experiences, and as others have pointed out, LUGNET's essentially THE knowledge
repository for LEGO enthusiasts over the last several years. That's a pretty
powerful combination, and also more than a little intimidating, I'm sure.

Again, I wish you luck in find the path that's right for you, and if nothing
else, I'll see you at BrickFest!

Sincerely,
Kelly