 Administrative / General / 10296
Re: Meta discussion about guidance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 23:04:43 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> writes:
Quoting from the post sending it here:

"Unless you think you get a special pass on this for some reason. Take it up
with the admins since my guidance has failed."

This was VERY poorly worded on my part. It really does read like I'm calling
in the muscle. And that was wrong and regrettable. It wasn't what I was
trying to do.

Clearly, I do need some help on wording.

No human endeavor calls for more tact than telling someone they've
done wrong.  The flak you get over being a net.cop probably stems more
from this than from any other apsect of the situation.

In the vast majority of cases, people believe they are doing the right
thing.  It is imperative to keep this in mind when trying to correct
them, because the sound of boiling blood will drown out whatever
message you may be trying to get across.

It is for this reason that I generally try to avoid participating in
this sort of activity.  I spent too much of my life pissing people off
by correcting them without taking proper consideration of their
feelings.  However, for the sake of building consensus, I think that
Bram's original message was on-topic but that the followup "sold out"
message was not.

--Bill.