 Administrative / General / 10272
Re: Porthole alternative
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 17:43:17 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
Kyle Beatty wrote: • <snip>

Characterizing unhappy responses to correction as being inherently
anti-Lugnet is dangerous. (By the way, every time I use this expression,
"correction," the hair on the back of my neck stands up. It really creeps >>> me out in a deeply Orwellian way.)

I certainly agree that there seems to be a lot more "correction" and
related noise. I think there are a few problems here.

- The Lugnet admins have not had a lot of time recently to do the
administrative stuff they used to do.

Do you think that if “the admins” were still playing the role they used to
here they would be stepping in and “correcting” quite as much? I worry about
the *potential* for Todd’s apparent inactively to be used as an excuse to
throw a little weight around. Perhaps I'm worrying about nothing?

If the admins were correcting as often as the "community" has been of late,
I think it would be in such a way as to avoid the noise of our current
method. I don't mind the community action. What I *do* mind is the fallout
created when someone is corrected. Just look at this thread as one example.

I think you do have a valid concern about members taking on the
responsibility of corrective action without support and/or approval of the
admins. I see a zero tolerance policy developing by precedence. I feel that
the speed of the thread elevation (to lugnet.admin.*) is an indicator of
such a policy.

We have to live with the fact that policing is here to stay. It should be
done with respect, and it should be remembered that respect is a two way >street.

I think the tone with which a corrective action is written, sets the tone
for any replies.

Scott A

=+=
Have you inspected Arthur’s Seat yet?
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=scotta

So, does this mean that all of your posts including this sig need to be
confined to .market? Where's the line drawn?

<snip>

-Duane