 Administrative / General / 10259
RE: Porthole alternative
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 05:23:33 GMT

Kyle Beatty writes:
Is it possible, just possible, that the norm (a scary-ish
notion in and of itself) is approximately zero-tolerance?
And therefore very nearly unsupportable? The mere appearance
that there are Posting Police (whether there is or isn't) is
really unfortunate and counter productive. Moderation in
everything, but especially in moderation.

Hopefully this thread is far enough removed from the original infraction
that this post can be taken as unbiased...

IMHO, all the "policing", or "gentle guidance", or whatever posts are
much more annoying than the infractions themselves.  The corrections are
just as off-topic, if not more so, than the original off-topic post.  It
seems more and more that every incident gets drawn out into a flame war
because people take each other too seriously or take comments too
personally.
I sometimes wonder why I waste time reading LUGNET...it seems that the
noise to content ratio is just as bad as RTL was when we moved here.
The only difference is that now the noise is people arguing about every
little thing, where as before it was auction announcements and spam.
I'm seriously not sure which I prefer.  I'm pretty sure that this is the
reason some great individuals have taken temporary or permanent breaks
from LUGNET.

Just my .02, *please* don't take any statement here personally, it's
meant as a generalization.
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu