 Administrative / General / 10290
Re: Meta discussion about guidance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 17:49:15 GMT

Rearranging with no intent to harm:

I sort of disagree that there is no difference between guidance and
discussion of guidance.

OK.  I think I agree with you because the issue of keeping the NG 'clean' is
the motivation - as long as a dissenting opinion is encouraged to follow the
guidance off-group eventually.

Original guidance, since it's for the edification of
other readers of the theme group, [snip] is not off topic.

It *is* perfectly legitimate and reasonable to question or build consensus
around the nature of guidance but I see that as not on topic for the theme
group. It ought to be taken elsewhere in my view.

Further I think once a consensus on what ought or ought not to be done
(about a particular guidance or whether it was good or bad guidance) has
been reached it is perfectly OK (good, even) for someone to followup, with a
summary of the consensus reached, back to the theme group.

Great.  I think that's the process that should take place.

Currently that elsewhere (the place to have meta discussion about guidance),
in my view, is admin.general...It's...a place to talk about general
admin-ish issues. • [snip]
I'd wish the elsewhere was somewhere else to reduce traffic here and because
of the connotation that this group carries of "calling in the muscle".

Good point.  Part of this fracas was based on the understanding that you were
appealing to authority for something seen to be minor.  And you seem to have
meant to be just moving the venue to a more appropriate place.

Suz, are you out there?  Do you have an opinion?  Should we have a
lugnet.admin.self-governance to spare .general from this kind of stuff, or is
this the right place?

So, did I send this to admin.general too fast? Not in my view.

Now I'm thinking that you waited too long.  If you had set FUT .admin.general
on your second note, the third would probably never have been needed which
would have avoided you being a bit terse.

Chris