 Administrative / General / 10238
Re: Porthole alternative
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 18:13:53 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Morton writes:
Come on Lar,
I think we can all see the difference between posting a message saying XX
parts now in my brinklink store, and a link to an image that shows a
valuable building technique which also states in the image (and not in the
original posting) that the parts are available at his bricklink store.

It's just like making a posting about something, which as part of my
signature block has a link to my Lego website, which in turn has a link to
my bricklink store.

Which is why the original post, which had on topic aspects, got merely a
ribbing. I whould have hoped that Bram was enough of a thought leader to
connect the dots (where his purely market relatd followup should go) without
an explicit warning.

It was the followup, which had NO .trains related content, and which should
have been posted to ONLY the market groups, that got gentle guidance. At
THAT point Bram mischaracterised it as "yelling" which was a signal to me
that guidance wasn't working, so I shuffled it up, not wanting to brawl in
.trains which is a busy group nowadays.

If all of you saying that the entire thread was fine really think that, then
perhaps any market related advertising whatever is OK as long as one can
trace the append chain back to an on topic post.

But that's not my understanding of intent here. The intent is that if
something veers off topic, one should veer the place it gets posted to as
well. I would be (on one level) delighted to see market related stuff
welcome everywhere, I have plenty of things to advertise... But it's not and
on many many other levels I am quite glad of that.

But I really don't see that as an open question. Nor should it be.

No, this is fundamentally still an issue of how to give guidance and what to
do when it is spurned. Make no mistake, it was indeed spurned.