 Administrative / General / 10258
Re: Porthole alternative
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 05:07:15 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney writes:
"Matt Hein" <Pyrokid17@hotmail.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.admin.general, David Koudys writes:
Did anyone ever see Soul Man... It's a comedy movie from the '80's...
One scene, kid driving down the road, followed closely by the cops.  Cops
were *waiting* for the kid to do *something* slightly out of place.  Kid
swerves to avoid someone's car door opening, cops pull him over and arrest
him for he 'crossed the yellow line', the legitmate reason was irrelevant to
the cops, they just wnated to bust the kid.

This is Community Policing.

This is what I have an issue with.

Hey! Same here! Sure, it's fine if somebody corrects an error, but It really
gets bad when they self appoint themselves as LUGNET police. It takes all
the fun out of the original discussion,and turns it into a flame war,
something I don't like to familiarize myself with.

The illustration above is not at all what I picture Larry's actions to be.  Nor
is it what I picture anyone else's actions who has advocated community policing
to be.

I'm not clearly for Larry's POV or Bram's POV in the recent situation, it seems
a bit nebulous.  They both make good points, I won't side either way in this
one.

BUT - what I do see is people claiming others are hunting people down, and
little weight behind those words.  Sure, some of us, myself included, have
strongly advocated users correcting other users, both to keep issues out of
admin hands so they don't have to deal with them and also because it preserves
the desired atmosphere, but that's different than actively seeking people out
like the illustration above.

I see no difference between Larry pointing out someone's infraction and someone
who has been here a couple days doing the same.  The only difference is, people
like to go after someone like Larry.

Please, show some common sense about the whole community policing issue and
don't be so quick to label people negatively with it.  I only advocated it,
along with a few others, because the concept was vehemently disagreed with, some
people wanted all correction placed within admin hands and believed no one else
had the right to guide our community.  We backed it up with a strong retort,
advocating each person here's responsibility towards the community, and also
stated we would act in this way ourselves.  It isn't that big of a deal, really.
If you look at it, people like Larry or myself aren't looking for a fight.  But
we certainly make nice targets, probably cause we're loud.

This is not the "oh gosh aren't we one big happy family that can get along"
LUGNET that I would personally like to see.

Nope, I personally think policing is good only If you don't publicly
humiliate the poster. They should take it to email.

Subjective.  Sure, if someone wants to verbally rip into someone else (I don't
advocate that, but if), its better for email.  If someone wants to gently guide,
does so politely, and the offending party takes offense, its their problem.
Besides, polite public correction 1) ensures the offender doesn't get corrected
multiple times and thus annoyed via email and 2) sets an example for other
people who may not understand or respect the norm.

-Tim

Is it possible, just possible, that the norm (a scary-ish notion in and of
itself) is approximately zero-tolerance? And therefore very nearly
unsupportable? The mere appearance that there are Posting Police (whether
there is or isn't) is really unfortunate and counter productive. Moderation
in everything, but especially in moderation.
- Kyle