 Administrative / General / 10262
Re: Porthole alternative
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 07:46:54 GMT

Why am I still up?  Working on NILTC stuff for this weekend.  Burning the candle
at both ends again... :-\

"Kyle Beatty" <carbunicle@appleogue.net> wrote in message

Your points are well-taken, but even as someone who hasn't had opportunity
to be corrected, I get the distinct feeling that the playground isn't really
all that open or fun. It doesn't take very many well-intentioned shots
across too many practically-innocent bows to keep _all_ the ships out of the
harbor.

I think people choose for themselves not to allow it to be fun, becuase they
can't stand being told 'hey, we do things a certain way here, please play within
our established rules.'

But I see your point.  Its probably not just that, there's a lot of other
factors.  In fact, I know there are other factors.

I have absolutely no animus toward anyone on these boards (quite the
opposite) but being in a conversation like this has to make me wonder
whether something hasn't gone awry.

Something has gone awry, but I'm not going to comment on what I think that is
here and now.  I don't believe its community guidance (much nicer term than
policing) though.

Characterizing unhappy responses to correction as being inherently
anti-Lugnet is dangerous. (By the way, every time I use this expression,
"correction," the hair on the back of my neck stands up. It really creeps me
out in a deeply Orwellian way.)

Well rest assured that I don't intend on being Big Brother to anyone on LUGNET,
nor do I wish to see LUGNET administration turn into a BB like operation. :-)

I really think in this situation, people are getting too hung up on semantics to
see the bigger picture.  Larry said a while ago, in another thread, something
along the lines that he prefers to use 'community guidance' over 'community
policing' because it has a nicer ring to it.  I happen to agree.  If the term
'community policing' never came up, I'd be willing to bet half of the objections
to the guidance wouldn't be here.

More later, its late.

-Tim