 Administrative / General / 10256
Re: Porthole alternative
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 01:26:28 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, David Koudys writes:
it was a banterish reply.  No where in this response do I see 'Lar, you're
full of it and I ain't listening to you', or 'Nyaah Nyaah Nyaah, lookit what
I did so there!'  What I read was a legitimate response laying out why he
posted what he did where he did, and questioned the rationale of having
things continue into '3 off-topic messages'.

Further, I will reiterate that his original post was in .trains 'cause it
had to do with train portholes, and his followup message, though not
specifically referring to .trains, it had a legitimate purpose in that it
was a *follow-up* post, letting the train people who may have been planning
on getting some portholes could no longer do that.  Then the topic would
have been dead, defunct and we would have all gone on our merry way.  I love
going on my merry way, it makes me so happy.

Did anyone ever see Soul Man... It's a comedy movie from the '80's...
One scene, kid driving down the road, followed closely by the cops.  Cops
were *waiting* for the kid to do *something* slightly out of place.  Kid
swerves to avoid someone's car door opening, cops pull him over and arrest
him for he 'crossed the yellow line', the legitmate reason was irrelevant to
the cops, they just wnated to bust the kid.

This is Community Policing.

This is what I have an issue with.

Hey! Same here! Sure, it's fine if somebody corrects an error, but It really
gets bad when they self appoint themselves as LUGNET police. It takes all
the fun out of the original discussion,and turns it into a flame war,
something I don't like to familiarize myself with.
This is not the "oh gosh aren't we one big happy family that can get along"
LUGNET that I would personally like to see.

Nope, I personally think policing is good only If you don't publicly
humiliate the poster. They should take it to email.
This is not small "cp" community policing.

This is thin skinned people who are quick to respond, quicker to anger,
quickest to involve admins.

Well said!
This is George Orwell's 1984 or THX1138 where 'big brother' scans the
entirety of LUGNET looking for, in their minds, badness and to lock it down,
first with (hopefully at least) a politely phrased warning and then
immediately blowing it up.

Who caused the ruckus?  Not Bram.  Nor was it looking like he was about to
cause a ruckus.

'Nother Dave scenario:

"Hmm, I've appeared to cut my finger."

"Here's a band-aid."

"Thanks, but it still hurts."

"K, let's chop off the entire arm."

Well, I've gone off enuf this time, and I'm quite confident that this issue
is now resolved to the betterment of LUGNET in general.

Yes, resolution is sweet.
Dave

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Lugnet member No. 1112