 Administrative / General / 10286
Re: Porthole alternative
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 17:32:31 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I'm disagreeing with Larry here on some specific points, but I hope it's clear
that at root, I agree with his stance on community guidance.  It's something we
need, even if our process needs refinement...

In lugnet.admin.general, Bram Lambrecht writes:

(nor was there
much reason for my rebuttal in the first place).

There is NO reason for a rebuttal to guidance, ever, unless you think
there's an issue with the guidance.

Larry, he was originally being friendly and conversational.  That's all.  You
can go on and on about friendly conversation that doesn't include trains being
off topic for .trains.  And you'll be right.  But it doesn't matter.  This
whole place has friendly conversations that stem out of discussions and stray
off topic.  As possible, these should be shunted to the correct groups, but not
with such rigor that the friendly conversation is squashed.

This can't be the friendliest place on the Internet without the friendly.

The proper response to guidance, *unless you think there is an issue* is
"thanks, I'll keep that in mind". Nothing else.

How specifically do you mean that?  Why are you so opposed to someone
explaining their thinking?  You can disagree with Bram's assumption that it
wouldn't hurt to post one last note -- that's fine.  But is the difference
between "thanks, I'll keep that in mind" and "I knew you were gonna yell at
me...but I figured..." so different?  He didn't outrightly acknowledge that
you're point was correct and taken, but he also didn't disagree.  Instead he
pointed out why he thought his action was the best course.  And you never
bothered to counter his rationalle with why you thought otherwise.  Instead you
labelled him as recalcitrant and sent it up the chain of command.  I think that
right at that point there was a great opportunity to build concensus that was
lost.

IF you think there is an issue, it's off topic for any group other than
admin.general. (until and unless there is a group lugnet.community.guidance
started)

That's not to say that there might not be an issue but that issue IMHO, is
off topic for the original group, because it's not a "trains" issue, it's an
admin issue.

Then isn't it off topic for us to provide guidance to others in the original
group?  It seems that if you (or I) get to decide that our guidance is
appropriate because of the nature of the guidance then any rebuttle based on
your logic is also appropriate.

Chris