 Administrative / General / 10274
Re: Porthole alternative
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 21:11:14 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Duane Hess writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
Kyle Beatty wrote: • <snip>

Characterizing unhappy responses to correction as being inherently
anti-Lugnet is dangerous. (By the way, every time I use this expression,
"correction," the hair on the back of my neck stands up. It really creeps >>> me out in a deeply Orwellian way.)

Wasn't he way ahead of his time??

I certainly agree that there seems to be a lot more "correction" and
related noise. I think there are a few problems here.

Few minor issues, no need to get someone's knickers in a knot over.  Just
maybe rethinking certain things.

- The Lugnet admins have not had a lot of time recently to do the
administrative stuff they used to do.

I appreciate the work the LUGNET admins do for all of us.  Just wanted to
say that here.  Why should they get bogged down in this stuff?  Small cp or
cg (for community guidance) can do the job, if *all* people are on the same
page.

Do you think that if “the admins” were still playing the role they used to
here they would be stepping in and “correcting” quite as much? I worry about
the *potential* for Todd’s apparent inactively to be used as an excuse to
throw a little weight around. Perhaps I'm worrying about nothing?

Personally, I didn't consider any part of this particular thread as people
throwing their weight around.  It's all about coming to a better
understanding of how to better the LUGNET community.  Discussion is good.
For those that are blessed with the ability to raise the bar on discussion,
all the more power to them.

If the admins were correcting as often as the "community" has been of late,
I think it would be in such a way as to avoid the noise of our current
method. I don't mind the community action. What I *do* mind is the fallout
created when someone is corrected. Just look at this thread as one example.

Each 'fallout' is different.  There has been many times when I have
appreciated the guidance given in LUGNET groups by those 'in the know', and
wondered why others had issues with said guidance.  This is not one of those
times ;)

I think you do have a valid concern about members taking on the
responsibility of corrective action without support and/or approval of the
admins. I see a zero tolerance policy developing by precedence. I feel that
the speed of the thread elevation (to lugnet.admin.*) is an indicator of
such a policy.

This was my exact original point.  Sometimes I will learn how to phrase
myself better to get my ideas and/or issues across.

We have to live with the fact that policing is here to stay. It should be
done with respect, and it should be remembered that respect is a two way >street.

Point #2, and I will pull in a quote from someone better 'in the know'...

Quoteth Tim
"
If people accepted correction graciously, like people on LUGNET used to, and
didn't carry the attitude that this is their own personal playground, and if
everyone shared the burden of keeping each other in check versus staying
silent and leaving it to a few, we wouldn't be dealing with this, would we?

-Tim
"

My original intent was to politely point out that mayhaps the issue was
bumped too quickly, and that, mayhaps, the bumper should re-evaluate his
position.  No personal disrespect, no slamming, no flame wars, just have
another look-see.  As Tim would also say, the ruckus that ensues from such
correction/guidance is not the responsibility of the corrector(guider,
whatever), but from the folks who dislike the guidance.  This is how this
particular issue got this big.

I think the tone with which a corrective action is written, sets the tone
for any replies.

That's why I like keeping my posts vaguely humourous, but, as Natalie Hurley
(Sports Night) would say, "My sense of humour is too advanced and
avant-garde for mere members of the public to appreciate"  Oh well ;)

Scott A

=+=
Have you inspected Arthur’s Seat yet?
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=scotta

So, does this mean that all of your posts including this sig need to be
confined to .market? Where's the line drawn?

Yes, we should start cross-posting this to .market.

<snip>

-Duane

Now can I say that this issue has been somewhat resolved to the betterment
of LUGNET in general?  It has for me, anyway.

<Everyone takes a deep, cleansing breath, and lets it out, slooooowly...>

Whew!

Dave