 Administrative / General / 10260
Re: Porthole alternative
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 06:01:05 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kyle Beatty writes:

Is it possible, just possible, that the norm (a scary-ish notion in and of
itself)

Are you saying the idea of a norm is scary?  Guess society's all screwed up
by its very nature.  Community norms aren't a bad thing.  I have no idea why
the idea is stigmatized.

is approximately zero-tolerance? And therefore very nearly
unsupportable? The mere appearance that there are Posting Police (whether
there is or isn't) is really unfortunate and counter productive. Moderation
in everything, but especially in moderation.

I don't think you can point a finger at anyone and say they have zero
tolerance.  That would be exhibited by them reacting to every infraction,
and actively seeking out offenders.  It would be the embodiment of Dave's
example.  And I see none of that here.

The appearance that there are police only exists because a few people spoke
up in the favor of the community members keeping each other in check.  An
idea that was being trashed by others.  Its the people who take offense to
the idea that there is the appearance of police that cause this problem,
that escalate stuff like this.  And, I believe it also exists because a few
people who have been put off by this form of correction like to target the
correctors.

If people accepted correction graciously, like people on LUGNET used to, and
didn't carry the attitude that this is their own personal playground, and if
everyone shared the burden of keeping each other in check versus staying
silent and leaving it to a few, we wouldn't be dealing with this, would we?

-Tim