 Trains / 27749
Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2006 22:17:06 GMT

I tried this solution out for myself, and it didn’t produce the best results for rolling friction. Not to say it isn’t a good solution, because I do see major improvements, but just that there is a better one.

Adding the metal sleeve around the axle, lifted the wheels enough so that the flanges weren’t touching anymore. When tested, I saw a major improvement in rolling distance. However it also added more rolling friction to the wheels (length of the sleeve pressing against the axle) so I knew there should be a better way.

Instead of the axle sleeve being the entire length, I decided to try using two bushings (axle sleeve cut down really short) at each end of the axle, but it didn’t help much. Might have been burrs in the inside for this test, because it was really hard holding the bushing a filing at the same time. If you could get rid of the burrs this might actually be a good solution.

The best solution would be one that prevents the flanges from rubbing without adding any friction. A fellow Nelug memember mentioned cutting notches in the wheel housing to give the wheel flanges more clearance. This produced even better results than using the axle sleeve, because there isn’t any added friction.

All of the test were done on an up down ramp with a two plate slope (two plate difference at each track connection) and eight baseplates in length.

Jon