 Trains / 27741
Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 19:43:02 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Peter Edwards wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Peter Edwards wrote:
   The extra circumference of the brass keeps the axle from seating too low, so it will not rub on the frame.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pe668/Crazy/z-1001440.jpg

I would like to follow-up on this. This year NELUG participated at Brick Blast Vermont. This was are first experiance doing a mid summer train show and it was extremely hot and humid durring the event. My trains which have been running at shows for 7+ years would not run at all because of the friction in the wheel sets. Others had better luck but had to run significantly shorter trains than normal and even then transformers were over heating left and right.

Anyway when we got back we started searching for a solution and I decided to try this one. I have only modified the worst of my train cars so far but I have to say the differance is significant and it requires no cutting of the ABS. It was also relatively cheap. I paid about $2.75 for a 3’ lenght of 1/8” tubing and another $5 for a tubing cutter. I will be modifying all my wheel sets soon.

For those looking for supplies you can get the Tubing at most hobby stores. I went to Hobby Town USA and got the tubing. The tubing itself is from K&S Engineering. They had both brass and aluminum in stock the aluminum was cheaper but also a lot softer and in general a lot less straight.

All they had to cut it was hack saws so I passed on that. I got a mini tubing cutter from Ace Hardware. I found the tubing still needed to be reemed a little after cutting but that wasn’t to bad (I actually used an axel to reem the ends). You could probably cut using a dremel as well.

This solution is fantastic because it does 2 things. First it creates more separation between the flang and the housing and second it creates a lot more metal to metal contact and a lot less metal to plastic contact which also reduces friction significantly.

Great solution!

-Eric