 Trains / 17935
Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 13:42:14 GMT

"Reinhard \"Ben\" Beneke" <r.beneke@tu-bs.de> writes:

BUT if a kid or a newbie to trains gets a first set now and there is a lack in
quality, they might think Lego trains are like that. If a Metroliner is not
able to be operated with 2 extra club cars on flat surface(*) that is poor and
will not help you to sell more stuff......

I was going to add a small followup to this discussion last night, but it
got too late. So, I'll followup to Ben's post, even though my followup is
only indirectly related to what Ben is saying. Sorry about that.

I've got one Santa Fe, and one of the bogies on it was stifff. Some fiddling
(I'm not sure of the details, but it may have been just pushing and pulling
sideways on the frame versus the wheels) fixed it completely - the engine
will now roll down the slight slope on my tabletop, even if I don't want
it to.

My legend Metroliner engine has 2 problems:

- the power truck now falls off - it won't hold on. This could simply be
    because its been on and off too many times, but this does surprise me -
    I thought they would last longer than that (it can't have been on and
    off more than a dozen or 2 times at the most). I haven't looked
    closely since the Nalug show to see what is damaged.

- the engine comes off the track when going into corners. I believe this
    is because of its stiff pivoting, due to the stiffness of the electric
    wire for the headlight. That wire needs to be folded up and stuffed
    inside the space inside the fuel tank, and presents significant
    stiffness to the pivoting of the bogie. Then, if there is a slight
    drop in the track, going from a straight section to a curve, then the
    bogie can ride up the outer rail and straight off.

--
Experience should guide us, not rule us.

Chris Gray     cg@ami-cg.GraySage.COM
               http://www.GraySage.COM/cg/