 Trains / 26995
Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:55:00 GMT

A slightly better solution may be to find similar stock in the
pre-lubricated bronze used for bushings.  I don't know the true name of
the stuff, but if tubing of the right size could be found, you wouldn't
need to worry about grease or oil.

Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Peter Edwards wrote:
The extra circumference of the brass keeps the axle from seating too low, so it
will not rub on the frame.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pe668/Crazy/z-100_1440.jpg

But I have one comment to make: this solution is causing friction between brass
tube and metal axle, while the original solution is "rubbing" only on the very
tip of the metal axle. The higher the diameter of the friction zone, the higher
the torque to overcome.

For light weight waggons this solution will end up in a (somewhat) higher
running resistance (maybe not to mention if you put a miligramm of grease in
between).

For heavier waggons this would be a perfect and reliable solution! Excellent
idea and thanks for sharing it!

--
Tom Stangl
* http://www.vfaq.com/