 Trains / 18048
Re: testing wheelsets (was: something else...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:24:09 GMT

Can someone propose a quick jig or fixture test that can test a wheelset by
itself to see if it has the problem? I don't want to actually build all the
cars (most of which are destined for parts anyway) to see.

I tried the old "flick it with your thumb and see how long it spins" but
that test is inconclusive and inaccurate.

And I was just going to suggest the 'flick' test...  <grin>

How about something simple like a couple of pieces of straight track, with
some bracing so they fairly solid?  Put two wheels together, put them on one
end of the jig, and raise that end until the wheels start to roll.  (Kinda
like a 'stimp meter' for you golfers.)

If you put some extra weight bricks on top of the two wheelsets, it would
give you a fairly accurate idea of how well the wheels roll.

Most of our older 9volt wheels will roll with a very small grade.  I haven't
checked any of our grey wheels, since we haven't built any rolling stock
with them (yet!)...

JohnG, GMLTC