 Trains / 17888
  I heard a rumour that lego were going to ditch 9v track...

I heard that they are going to create a totally new kind of track. I heard it from a friend that heard it from someone inside lego aparently. About the only way I can see this making any sense for lego is if they are going to ditch electrics (...) (22 years ago, 4-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: I heard a rumour that lego were going to ditch 9v track...

(...) Jonathan - Is it really necessary to post a rumor so unsubstantiated as this? All negative rumors like this usually do is foster a lot of griping and complaining, and we usually find out later the rumor wasn't true in the first place. If (...) (22 years ago, 4-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  (canceled)

  The story is like this...

A friend of mine that has a wholesale account with lego heard from some person inside lego that they were going to scrap the current 9v track and go for a non powered track setup, more like duplo trains (the person at lego didnt say why but I think (...) (22 years ago, 5-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: I heard a rumour that lego were going to ditch 9v track...

I don't think LEGO® would leave a money-making theme such as trains hang high and dry, it would be foolish...especially after almost 40 years of continuous train production. This is nothing more than a vicious, nasty rumour. -Harvey (22 years ago, 5-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: I heard a rumour that lego were going to ditch 9v track...

(...) And that is your opinion. The rumor was a change to the track, not the discontinuation of the entire line. It could happen. Suppose LEGO came out with a 9V multi-channel IR controlled train motor (Manas? Spybotics?) that didn't require powered (...) (22 years ago, 5-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: I heard a rumour that lego were going to ditch 9v track...

(...) Can we be sure trains are a "money-making theme" in the longer-term? The fact that much of the newer offerings can only really be had via S@H and that these sets contain no real new parts makes me wonder what the long term plans for trains (...) (22 years ago, 5-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: The story is like this...

(...) That sounds a bit of a pain. The motor would be bigger, making it hard to use existing sets. But perhaps it is what the [mass] market wants? Scott A (...) (22 years ago, 5-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: I heard a rumour that lego were going to ditch 9v track...

(...) Always true, but I doubt that they would leave the current system behind just as they're on the brink of getting trains to become readily-available to the mass market (at least where there's a Target) and thus having their popularity shoot up. (...) (22 years ago, 5-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: I heard a rumour that lego were going to ditch 9v track...

(...) Is this really true though? After all, 3 of the 2001 train cars are available at retail. Probably more significantly, there are 2 different retail starter sets that are built around the 2001 series of trains. Does anyone else suspect that by (...) (22 years ago, 5-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: I heard a rumour that lego were going to ditch 9v track...

(...) I suppose it depends on your definition of long term but I'm fairly comfortable with the medium to long term (5-10 years) direction for LEGO(r) trains. I wouldn't read too much into them not having new parts. LD originated sets tend not to (...) (22 years ago, 5-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: The story is like this...

(...) *bangs head* Do you really think that with TLC's big push for LEGO Train clubs, the support they're giving, and now selling My Own Train at retail, they would do this? It makes zero sense. Here they are trying to build momentum for LEGO (...) (22 years ago, 5-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

In lugnet.trains, Mike Case writes: ... (...) The Super Chief locomotive and cars are absolutely beautiful. I've bought 15 sets so far, and I could see buying more. But, it is the poorest running train since the inception of 9V. As Jeroen de Haan (...) (22 years ago, 5-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

Cary Clark wrote in message ... (...) 15 (...) Interesting - Jeremy Rear brought his Santa Fe ABA set to NWBrickcon this weekend and it kept slowing down to a crawl at certain places on the track for no discernible reason. Good old Thomas the Tank (...) (22 years ago, 7-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

(...) Has anybody checked the wheel sets? Lego had some minor problems with the Legend Metro-Liner and they seem to have major problems with grey (Santa Fe + coaches) wheel sets now (as I heared from several people till now). These do not run as (...) (22 years ago, 7-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

Call me crazy, but I believe there is a limit to how much weight one should stack atop a 9V train motor. My previous V188 double-diesel was solidly built...too much so, for I had to raise the controller up two or three notches just so it could keep (...) (22 years ago, 7-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

(...) rolling before using them in the record attempt? (22 years ago, 7-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

(...) At least 95% of these waggons have been new (or like new). All we did, was giving them a short look on the bottom side: if a wheel block is not attached perfectly, then the wagon will run on only 3 wheels and cause higher friction. All waggons (...) (22 years ago, 7-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: I heard a rumour that lego were going to ditch 9v track...

(...) Hmm. Perhaps this is a US thing (?), the only 2001 train sets we have in non-lego shops in the UK are what looks like superfluous LD stock sold at a slight discount. Scott A (...) (22 years ago, 7-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

"Harvey Henkelman" <Ferroequus@webtv.net> wrote in message news:H3LtG2.JDn@lugnet.com... (...) should (...) lines) (...) problem (...) I'm finding little reason to the whole friction issue. My CN engine has two motors on it and it runs very fast on (...) (22 years ago, 7-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

(...) Dean, sounds like your wheels had some production errors. I would encourage you to call our Consumer Services Center and ask them to send you some replacements. They should be able to get them to you in no time. Jake --- Jake McKee Senior (...) (22 years ago, 7-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

(...) Dear Jake, I would additionally beg you to give this information into your production and quality control. Here we are all adults and train heads, our trains are not operated too much and we have tons of stuff. If I have 40 wheelsets with (...) (22 years ago, 8-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

(...) Ben, already done! Jake --- Jake McKee Senior Producer LEGO Direct (22 years ago, 8-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

(...) I was going to add a small followup to this discussion last night, but it got too late. So, I'll followup to Ben's post, even though my followup is only indirectly related to what Ben is saying. Sorry about that. I've got one Santa Fe, and one (...) (22 years ago, 8-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

(...) This is a real shame. These sound like pretty basic (ie avoidable) faults. Scott A =+= Have you inspected Arthur's Seat yet? (URL) reasonable man adapts himself to suit his environment. An unreasonable man persists in attempting to adapt his (...) (22 years ago, 8-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: I heard a rumour that lego were going to ditch 9v track...

Hello, Maby I have an explenation. I was in Legoland Billund today. They had a factory sale with some discontinued sets. There vere a lot of Duplo trains. Both tracks and whole trainsets. Couldn't it be these trains lego was going to "ditch"? Just a (...) (22 years ago, 15-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

(...) I agree with that! And I bought all of the newer cars (10013/14/15/16/17) and buy just making a very simple train with them + 1 loc, it has a very hard time on curves and not fast on a straight track. I never had that problem with all the (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

I have two Santa Fe engines and a B Unit I built to go with them. I have two moters one on each of the A units. I too had a hard time with the SF engines pulling more then 10 cars. It always seemed to bog down in the turns. Recently I had all my (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time // Super Chief no train set?

(...) Dear Jake, a German Co-AFOL has had trouble with the Santa Fe train as well. He called the consumer service for replacement wheel sets and got informed the Super Chief was not meant as a train set, but as a display set for the shelf only. So (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time // Super Chief no train set?

(...) That's shocking! They're obviously meant as running models because grey motor side-bars are included in the set! Why would there be alternate parts and instructions for motorising and adding rail-powered lights to a display-only set? They may (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time // Super Chief no train set?

For a long time, I resisted buying any of the Super Chief sets. The models DO look a little top-heavy, and LEGO® has slipped on their quality control like never before seen in their history. People say that LEGO® is too expensive, and that they (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time // Super Chief no train set?

(...) >Ben Hmmm, this sounds very, VERY bad! A consumer Service Department is meant to provide SERVICE !! Bad parts are bad parts, and there should only ONE PROPER ANSWER from a service employee: 'Sorry, of course w'll replace your bad Legos' (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

"Harvey Henkelman" <Ferroequus@webtv.net> wrote in message news:H42q1E.1qM@lugnet.com... [ ... snipped ... ] (...) [ ... snipped ... ] But they really didn't go out of business. They simply reorganized under Chapter 11 as ATA (American Trans Air or (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time // Super Chief no train set?

(...) This is absolutely not true. These sets are very much meant to be run. They were never intended to be "display only" models. Whoever he talked to was misinformed. (...) this is the first that we have heard about it having problems. (...) I (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time // Super Chief no train set?

(...) (the old saying: "If you want it done right, do it yourself"... springs to mind. This of course conflicts with "do what you do well, and let others do the rest") (...) Thanks for the update on this. I hope it turns out to be easy to resolve! (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: testing wheelsets (was: something else...)

(...) And I was just going to suggest the 'flick' test... <grin> How about something simple like a couple of pieces of straight track, with some bracing so they fairly solid? Put two wheels together, put them on one end of the jig, and raise that (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time // Super Chief no train set?

(...) Jake/LD, It should be easy for LD to check who they sold problem batches to as most of them will have been sold by via mail order(?). I wonder if this can be sorted that way? ;) Scott A (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

When you say you replaced the wheels, are you referring to the whole kit 'n caboodle or just the axle? -Stefan- (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

I ment that I called up LEGO and they sent me a whole new set of wheels. THey had no problem with it. After replacing the old SF wheels with the new, I looked at what would cause the high friction. It looks like the outer most diamater of the wheel (...) (22 years ago, 16-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

Yup. Thanks. -Stefan- (...) (22 years ago, 17-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

(...) That's it in a nutshell. I bought some SF carriages and Super Chief and after running them for only a short amount of time it slowed right down. The Motor was cutting out due to the load, from the weight of these heavier carriages. Not the (...) (18 years ago, 10-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

(...) (URL) (18 years ago, 11-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

(...) wonder? Way better solution than knifing away plastic if it works... ++Lar (18 years ago, 12-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

(...) Hi all! This is in fact a nice idea! But I have one comment to make: this solution is causing friction between brass tube and metal axle, while the original solution is "rubbing" only on the very tip of the metal axle. The higher the diameter (...) (18 years ago, 12-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

A slightly better solution may be to find similar stock in the pre-lubricated bronze used for bushings. I don't know the true name of the stuff, but if tubing of the right size could be found, you wouldn't need to worry about grease or oil. (...) (18 years ago, 15-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

(...) Umm yeah, well I think you missed the point, NO lube is needed In lugnet.trains, Peter Edwards wrote: (...) (18 years ago, 16-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

Cool, missed that part. Now...details on the sizing, where to buy, etc? I'm sure I could bore out some brass rod, but if you have a supplier that stocks the right size, it would save a ton of time... (...) (18 years ago, 16-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

(...) I picked up 300mm x 3mm rod just in a local hobby shop (URL) (18 years ago, 21-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

(...) (URL) Brick Blast Vermont>. This was are first experiance doing a mid summer train show and it was extremely hot and humid durring the event. My trains which have been running at shows for 7+ years would not run at all because of the friction (...) (18 years ago, 3-Aug-06, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct, FTX)

  Re: Super Chief set not ready for prime-time

I tried this solution out for myself, and it didn't produce the best results for rolling friction. Not to say it isn't a good solution, because I do see major improvements, but just that there is a better one. Adding the metal sleeve around the (...) (18 years ago, 5-Aug-06, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct, FTX)