 Trains / 17902
Re: I heard a rumour that lego were going to ditch 9v track...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 14:36:16 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Case writes:
On Sat, 5 Oct 2002 09:37:46 GMT, "Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com>
wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Rob Doucette writes:
In lugnet.trains, Harvey Henkelman writes:
I don't think LEGO® would leave a money-making theme such as trains hang
high and dry, it would be foolish...especially after almost 40 years of
continuous train production.

Can we be sure trains are a "money-making theme" in the longer-term? The fact
that much of the newer offerings can only really be had via S@H and
that these
sets contain no real new parts makes me wonder what the long term plans for
trains are.

I suppose it depends on your definition of long term but I'm fairly
comfortable with the medium to long term (5-10 years) direction for LEGO(r)
trains. I wouldn't read too much into them not having new parts. LD
originated sets tend not to have any new parts (new colors, yes, new parts
no) in them, as discussed at length elsewhere.

I'm not at all worried about the future of the train line for at least 5
years, if not much much longer, based solely on what anyone can observe for
themself and deduce as a critical thinker. Look at the spectacular growth in
train clubs, look at the many new offerings in the line, and draw your own
conclusions.

Is this really true though?  After all, 3 of the 2001 train cars are
available at retail.  Probably more significantly, there are 2
different retail starter sets that are built around the 2001 series of
trains.

Does anyone else suspect that by Christmas 2004 we will have retail
sets based around the Super Chief sets?

It seems a reasonable supposition or suspicion. People who know for sure
wouldn't be able to say, of course. As you point out, the Super Chief cars
(2 whole SKUs) are now just about the only sets NOT available at retail.

As to the original rumor, I have a few things to say (and more generally,
about this thread)... while I don't give the rumor much credence, I don't
fault Jonathan W. for bringing it to the attention of the group. Information
is good. Even unsubstantiated rumor can be useful data, so thanks for
bringing it up!

In my view, there has been some (very mild) overreaction to it (and
overreaction to the overreaction, in turn), but nothing to really worry
about as of yet. Speaking as a curator, thanks all, for discussing this
rationally, and continuing to do so, it's appreciated, as I've been a bit
out of pocket since Thursday.

Larry Pieniazek
lugnet.trains curator