 Trains / 17900
Re: I heard a rumour that lego were going to ditch 9v track...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 11:13:25 GMT

Can we be sure trains are a "money-making theme" in the longer-term? The fact
that much of the newer offerings can only really be had via S@H and that these
sets contain no real new parts makes me wonder what the long term plans for
trains are.

Always true, but I doubt that they would leave the current system behind
just as they're on the brink of getting trains to become readily-available
to the mass market (at least where there's a Target) and thus having their
popularity shoot up.  It wouldn't make sense, not from any standpoint.

Suppose LEGO came out with a 9V multi-channel IR controlled train motor
(Manas? Spybotics?) that didn't require powered track?

Great idea, but don't IR recievers have to have LOS with the transmitter to
recieve commands?  There'd be no unobtrusive way to stash the reciever
without miniaturizing it.

Jonathan's second hand rumor is not so far fetched and IMHO he had every
right to post it.

Agreed.

-Stefan-