 General / 7656
Re: Toy Aid for children affected from Earthquake in Turkey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:48:30 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999 21:10:46 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

To the group... what should we do? It chaps me to spend 1/2 the total
just on postage. Should we send money to Selcuk instead? Assuming that
Julie can get refunds on most of the stuff, that is...

Ught.  I hate the thought of spending 1/2 for shipping as well.  I
sure wish some decent carrier would donate shipping for this, but the
red tape that would involve would probably add too much time to this
effort.  :(

I don't know.  Do you think there is time for a quick e-mail from
someone with experience in dealing with business types (like you)
asking an exec at FedEx, UPS, or someone, to chip in on this
shipping-wise, or has that already been tried?

One thing which is an unfortuanate problem with getting help with the
shipping is that we would like to ship to an individual and not an aid
agency. It might be a little easier if Selçuk found a suitable agency
(perhaps even one he could volunteer to help with the LEGO once it
arrives).

Another possibility, open all the tubs etc, pull out some of the most
prized pieces, and auction them to help defray more of the shipping
costs.

I'm checking with a friend who is very involved in the Red Cross and
other community service to see if he has any ideas.

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com (buisiness only please)
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com