 General / 7138
Re: Toy Aid for children affected from Earthquake in Turkey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:20:58 GMT

John Neal wrote:

I was thinking.  A while back many of us participated in an auction (Gary Louie
Memorial Auction) to raise money for expressly that reason-- to provide Lego
for children in need.  I think the plan was to give the money to a Ronald
McDonald house in CA, USA.  Why not use the money to buy Lego for these kids
instead? (if it hasn't already been dispersed)  Perhaps others who didn't
participate in the auction would consider a donation to the fund, and the sum
could be used to buy sets and then sent to Selçuk.  Perhaps Target, Zany, or
another retailer would be willing to mark down the sets as a donation to make
the money stretch further.  Just a thought.

There is 800+ in that fund. Ronald McDonald House has not gotten back to
my attempts to ask them how to link up and how to donate new LEGO we
were going to buy, which kind of frustrated me.

My sense is that changing the target donation is something that most or
all of the donors need to be in consensus on, but I personally think
it's a good idea.