 General / 7129
7128  |  7130
Subject:
Toy Aid for children affected from Earthquake in Turkey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 13:34:28 GMT

Hi friends,

I'm sure most of you have already heard about the disastrous earthquake
which caused thousands of death as well as up to half a million people lost
everything they owned.

I'm participating to the aids and help programs from the beginning somehow,
In first 10 days, all the focus was on rescue missions and supplying the
very urgent needs of survived victims (like water, food, and medical care),
but as the time goes, direction of the help started to change by changing
needs.

One of the biggest problem is now the children who lost his/her parents in
the disaster. According to the press there are thousands of them, and
according to medics, they need urgent psychological care, because of the
traumatic effects of the disaster. Now, as I observed, there are efforts of
founding some "child cities", of course by using tents as for now, where
they will be cared by voluntary "mothers" and experts.

There are already some examples built during last week, and as you guessed,
one of the urgent needs are toys. Me and my friends are still trying to
collect toys as much as we can, and already sent the amount we collected
last weekend to those centers (It was more than 1 ton, by the way)

Apart from those centers, virtually all of the child victims, living in tent
cities with or without their parents need toys too, since they lost
everything under the collapsed buildings, whether or not their loving ones
are alive.

In short, Lego is one of the most suitable tools for the purpose and we need
your help. It doesn't matter how they are used, how they are completed or
how they are old.  If we could arrange a help campaign, it would be very
nice. I don't know if it s practical to send toys to another continent as a
help but I've guessed many of you would want to contribute.

Please reply with your opinions and/or contact me at

sgore@superonline.com

Regards,

Selçuk Göre