 General / 7640
Re: Toy Aid for children affected from Earthquake in Turkey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 23:23:53 GMT

Here's a snippet from the Red Cross website:

We regret the American Red Cross is unable to accept used
                         clothing, canned goods, or other such gifts from
individuals. Firms
                         wishing to donate new, bulk goods should call
                         1-800-7-IN-KIND.

It states above "firms" not individuals wanting to donate.   It sounds like
they may need to be talked into accepting our gift, I don't think I'd be the
best person to take on that duty.  Anybody volunteering to call? Anybody
here a "firm"?
Julie

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Julie just reported back from the PO and it will be even MORE to ship
than we had first thought. Quoting from an email she sent (with
permission)

Sigh :-/

I went to the p.o., and my boxes were too big. I did not use
huge boxes. I have
received boxes in the mail  2 or more times bigger than what
I used. Here is
what I was told is the rule: max length 42 inches; max length
and girth combined
79 inches.

I don't have any acceptable size boxes sitting around here.

I could go out and get some at Office Depot, they have some
14x14x14 listed on
their website. That would be a total of 70 inches.  That
really isn't a very big
box. The p.o. charges by the pound.

I have one smaller box here 54 inch total, I just put 6
purple buckets and some
misc. bulk in there. It weighs 9 lbs, which would cost $39.13 to ship.

The way I had things boxed, I estimated $444 to ship based on
123 pounds. If I
could get the 14x14x14 boxes and was able to fit 10 pounds in
each box, that
would be 12 boxes x $42.15 per box = $504 in shipping.

I have spent $512 on Lego. Do you want to check with other
donators to see if
this is still a good idea, as far as this being money well
spent? I thought I
read a post that said the cost of Lego is double in Turkey.
At this point, "we"
are paying double as well.

Feel free to repost/email what ever part of this email you
feel necessary.

Julie

To the group... what should we do? It chaps me to spend 1/2 the total
just on postage. Should we send money to Selcuk instead? Assuming that
Julie can get refunds on most of the stuff, that is...

lugnet.