 General / 7478
Re: Toy Aid for children affected from Earthquake in Turkey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 02:14:41 GMT

Ok, I've got the go ahead to start shopping. Any advice on the
best/cheapest way to ship?
I checked out ups & dhl, very expensive. The US postal service air mail
is the cheapest I've found.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Julie

dkrenz wrote:

I would be more than happy to go to K-mart which is having a buy one at
full price get second at 50%, and then pack up the boxes. I have several
(4 pretty close and another 4 a bit farther) K-marts by me. I have room
on a cc. I've got some boxes in the garage suitable for shipping
overseas. I've got a minivan to haul the load home. I have a few new
Duplo sets I can add to the box too. I can hit a few K-marts on Friday
and if needed the rest on Sat. pack 'em on Sunday and get to UPS on
Monday.

Let me know.

Julie

I'll put out a more general call... ***IS*** there someone who could
take on the actual shopping and shipping part of this? I need to know
right away. Ideally it would be a person who had access to a good
selection of Primo, Duplo and freestyle/basic blocks at good prices
(perhaps someone who worked at WalMart or Meijer or whatever that could
get a discount).

It would be helpful if that person had a big enough credit card that
they could wait till my check arrived to be covered,  but could shop
now.

TLG is not returning my calls at this point so I think that avenue is
dead.

(1/4 primo, 1/4 Duplo and 2/4 basic/freestyle was what S recommends)

I'll put in another 100 to make it a nice round 1000 to be spent on toys
AND the shipping, to the address Selcuk gave. (I agree, having him do
the right thing personally makes me feel more secure than trusting a
quasi government agency) IF someone else does it. If not, it will only
be 900. :-)