 General / 48876
Re: I hate MOCPages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 02:46:34 GMT

In lugnet.general, Anthony Sava wrote:
Now before you climb up onto your high horse, let me begin by saying I love
MOCpages, and I think Sean Kenney is doing the community a great service.

But I hate the users on MOCpages, at least a few of them.

I wonder if that includes "Ender Sava", who has left some classic pearls of
wisdom on at least one of my mocpages, and that of my buddy Ryan Rubino's.  Is
he related to you?
<http://mocpages.com/moc.php/1808>
I'd put his comments on about the same level as that of Josh Jenkins.  If he's
not your relative, obviously this observation is meaningless, I only suggested
it because on one of my MOCS he reference the fact that his brother was better
than I'd ever be.  Pretty good smack for a youngster.

Since I've joined, but over the last six months in particular, I've recieved
bogus, vulgar, obscene and just plain idiotic reviews and ratings to the
creations I have posted there.  Granted, I'm not trying to claim that all my
creations deserve high ratings or high praise, but some of these reviews are
ridiculous.

Bogus, vulgar, obscene and idiotic...that is the beauty of Mocpages, or as I
like to call it Smack-Pages.  Oh, but you forgot threatening....I've my share of
angry soccer-moms, and randoms who have actually threatened to do horrible
things to me.  Now with my mocs and commentary I have to expect that as
something that comes with the territory.  Still, even for your awesome, but
decidedly mellower mocs, I'd rather have a crazy-bobo once in a while, than the
same old glad-handing form-letters you get on lugnet sometimes, where criticism
is sometimes (sometimes) frowned upon.  At least at MOCPages there are no
annoying Hall-Monitor types, high on their tiny slice of authority, who love to
disaprove of anything that doesn't fit their narrow interpretation of humor or
acceptability in general.

An example of the most recent lousy review of mine, in my opinion:
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/1695

Well Mr. Josh Jenkins, it's MY cathedral and it's MY world that I've built.  I
don't care what your preconceived notion about what a Cathedral is and isn't,
rate the model, not the idea.

Well, ok, I'm just venting over that one.  But...

Yeah, I think you are way off the mark on that review...he wasn't rude or
obscene or anything else you complained about above.  If that review really
bothered you, you might want to re-think posting at all.

Here are plenty of examples of bogus and possibly vulgar reviews on my Black
Dragon's page:
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/1682

I've actually requested that several of "BOBO's" reviews be removed from several
of my creations (which they have been) because they were just obscene.

Another Bobo classic
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/1686

Oh look, it's Bobo.  Fun.
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/1683

Yes, clearly Bobo is an idiot, but as you correctly point out you can delete it.
I don't know...to me if you post a creation to the general public, you shouldn't
get bent out of shape about a comparatively small number of idiots who respond.

Here's Josh again.
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/1700

Another pointless review, nice Job anyway to you too, Josh.

Anthony, again, you've got to grow a thicker skin with some of these guys.  You
know your mocs are good, what do you care what this guy has to say?  He even
says "nice job".  I'd be willing to be that this review stayed with you longer
than "Great job Anthony, you've done it again!"

So Sean, buddy, I'm not trying to cheapen your website, cause I really do think
it's a great idea in theory.  But would it be possible to impliment a membership
requirement on reviewing and rating creations?  Without accountability,
anomynity allows for some serious abuses of the system.

No, Sean No...please keep MOCPages the last bastion of free Lego-related speech.
Please preserve this sanctuary for the creative, and the stupid.  If not, people
like me, with a big mouth, questionable humor, and no web-related skills will be
silenced.  Come on Sean, Lugnet corners the market on kid-friendly feel good
g-rated action, continue to give the people what they want.

If people choose to review a creation without reading the description, or rank
the MOC poorly because of personal problems with the builder, or just giving
worthless reviews in general, I can live with things of that nature.  That's
just they way some people are.

But people like Bobo need to be taken out.

Whoah...and they call me a nazi.

It's free to join MOCPages, so it'd
only be an inconvenience to those who already are members to review or rank a
creation.  But if you had to put your own name and profile attached to a review,
I would bet it would deter the Bobos of the world, at least a little bit.

Again, noooooooo, don't throw any roadblocks to free speech...there is already
an effective system in place to deal with objectionable reviews.  Let the smack
flow...bathe in it...revel in it...teacher, mother, secret lover.

-Keith (I love MOCPages) Goldman

BTW....I find it much more irritating that your thread has been so rudely
highjacked.