 General / 48860
Re: I hate MOCPages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 17:56:54 GMT

I agree with your suggestions.  In fact, I think it helps cut down the trash on
Lugnet becuase you have to be registered to post, AND Lugnet always shows your
real name.

Yea, we still get trash (and different people will judge what is trash
differently), but it is not nearly as lame as this BOBO character.

I really like MOCpages, too, but yea wouldn't it be great if there could be some
controls on what was thrown into the comments.

-Alfred

In lugnet.general, Anthony Sava wrote:
Now before you climb up onto your high horse, let me begin by saying I love
MOCpages, and I think Sean Kenney is doing the community a great service.

But I hate the users on MOCpages, at least a few of them.

Since I've joined, but over the last six months in particular, I've recieved
bogus, vulgar, obscene and just plain idiotic reviews and ratings to the
creations I have posted there.  Granted, I'm not trying to claim that all my
creations deserve high ratings or high praise, but some of these reviews are
ridiculous.

An example of the most recent lousy review of mine, in my opinion:
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/1695

Well Mr. Josh Jenkins, it's MY cathedral and it's MY world that I've built.  I
don't care what your preconceived notion about what a Cathedral is and isn't,
rate the model, not the idea.

Well, ok, I'm just venting over that one.  But...

Here are plenty of examples of bogus and possibly vulgar reviews on my Black
Dragon's page:
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/1682

I've actually requested that several of "BOBO's" reviews be removed from several
of my creations (which they have been) because they were just obscene.

Another Bobo classic
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/1686

Oh look, it's Bobo.  Fun.
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/1683

Here's Josh again.
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/1700

Another pointless review, nice Job anyway to you too, Josh.

So Sean, buddy, I'm not trying to cheapen your website, cause I really do think
it's a great idea in theory.  But would it be possible to impliment a membership
requirement on reviewing and rating creations?  Without accountability,
anomynity allows for some serious abuses of the system.

If people choose to review a creation without reading the description, or rank
the MOC poorly because of personal problems with the builder, or just giving
worthless reviews in general, I can live with things of that nature.  That's
just they way some people are.

But people like Bobo need to be taken out.  It's free to join MOCPages, so it'd
only be an inconvenience to those who already are members to review or rank a
creation.  But if you had to put your own name and profile attached to a review,
I would bet it would deter the Bobos of the world, at least a little bit.

Sigh...

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, Lugnet.  Sometimes you just need to make a
public display.

--Anthony

<unrelated rant>
P.S. Lugnet tells me this when I go to post:
"You added your reply at the top of the message. Proper netiquette suggests that
you add your reply at the bottom of the message so that people can read the text
in natural order from top to bottom."

I actually don't agree with this at all.  I hate reading meaasages where you
have to scroll throught the trail to get to the new content.  I don't actually
think this is a consistent netiquette either, as I see many interent posters
using the opposite convention: new material at the top of the post.

cross posted to lugnet.admin.general for any comment.
</unrelated rant>

-Alfred