 General / 48861
Re: I hate MOCPages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 18:06:52 GMT

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 05:56:54PM +0000, Alfred Speredelozzi wrote:
<unrelated rant>
P.S. Lugnet tells me this when I go to post:
"You added your reply at the top of the message. Proper netiquette suggests that
you add your reply at the bottom of the message so that people can read the text
in natural order from top to bottom."

I actually don't agree with this at all.  I hate reading meaasages where you
have to scroll throught the trail to get to the new content.  I don't actually
think this is a consistent netiquette either, as I see many interent posters
using the opposite convention: new material at the top of the post.

See - there's your problem.  Replying on the bottom makes a lot of
sense, as long as you TRIM THE QOUTED TEXT.  Not you in particular
Alfred, but everyone.  If people just hit <end> and type their text,
there's no point.

For instance, did you really need to quote the complete message you
replied to?  For context, you could have left the paragraph with the
actual suggestion, but the rest could have been trimmed away.

Does that make sense?

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com