 General / 48862
Re: Help identifying 2x8 brick with single hole
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 18:10:11 GMT

Gary Istok wrote:

Thanks for the info Christian,

I always thought it was part of the Car Steering Gear Axle assembly found in
truck sets of 1967-74.  This was where you could turn a 1x2 brick (with "LEGO"
embossed on one side of the brick) on top of the cab of a Lego truck and it
would turn the front wheels of the truck for maneuvering it around turns.  But
after I checked the part in Peeron (#799), I checked the instructions in
Brickshelf of the 17 sets that use this mechanism.  They all appear to only have
plates (usually 4x6) with a hole in it to allow the gear axle to go thru.

Interesting note here, too. I have one of those sets: 730 Steam Shovel.

The bottom plate with a hole in it is actually a 5x6 plate... one of the
few times there has been a plate (or brick) of odd dimension greater than 3.

eric