 General / 48858
  I hate MOCPages

Now before you climb up onto your high horse, let me begin by saying I love MOCpages, and I think Sean Kenney is doing the community a great service. But I hate the users on MOCpages, at least a few of them. Since I've joined, but over the last six (...) (20 years ago, 2-Sep-04, to lugnet.general) !!

  Re: I hate MOCPages

I agree with your suggestions. In fact, I think it helps cut down the trash on Lugnet becuase you have to be registered to post, AND Lugnet always shows your real name. Yea, we still get trash (and different people will judge what is trash (...) (20 years ago, 2-Sep-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) See - there's your problem. Replying on the bottom makes a lot of sense, as long as you TRIM THE QOUTED TEXT. Not you in particular Alfred, but everyone. If people just hit <end> and type their text, there's no point. For instance, did you (...) (20 years ago, 2-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

On 14:06 09/02/04, Dan Boger wrote (...) Blame MicroSoft (again :-)... stoopid Outlook has trained people to reply at the top of messages. It makes it hard to figure out what they are talking about. If you try to interleave your comments it does (...) (20 years ago, 2-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) nuqDaq yuch Dapol! -Jason (20 years ago, 2-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) Oh, Oh, teach me! So, how do you set Outlook to do the right thing? I always have to cutNpaste things into an emacs window and reformat, then interleave the replies, and paste it all back. And even then, Outlook always wants to show how smart (...) (20 years ago, 2-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) I agree. I've had to request removal of an obscene review before as well. Not only do lots of inane and often obscene reviews get posted, but a lot of people post MOCs with no photos. That's oh so useful. Just looking at the first 2 pages of (...) (20 years ago, 2-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

On 14:31 09/02/04, Don Heyse wrote (...) When you hit reply, it does that stoopid indent thing. You just have to go down to where you want to insert things and use the "decrease indent" (has a little left arrow beside some horizontal bars). You may (...) (20 years ago, 2-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) In lugnet.general, Stephen F. Roberts wrote: (...) I don't think it's only that. In my workplace, the general practice is to always include the whole text of the message to which you are responding, but to put the new content at the top. The (...) (20 years ago, 2-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) I've gotten so annoyed with people who just write about their MOCs instead of posting pictures that I don't even look at any pages with no picture, that is no picture on the left when they're in recent MOCs. Andrew Horvatits (20 years ago, 2-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) I think there's a HUGE amount of merit in that. Sites that allow handles just aren't as pleasant, everything else being equal, in my view (...) Yes, Perhaps only allow registered users to comment for starters. Maybe even require a donation too (...) (20 years ago, 2-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) At least registered users, with a real name. A donation will sort out a lot more than I would want, I think. (...) Less comments is ok with me. There are only two comments I like for my MOCs: - Simply positive messgaes "Gee that's great" or (...) (20 years ago, 2-Sep-04, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

Hey Anthony, I agree about the worthlessness of some of the posters. With my Tolkien stuff there are a large portion of people who write how I'm an idiot because my creations didn't match with Peter Jackson's interpretation of Tolkien's book. My (...) (20 years ago, 2-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

...and I hate how when a Post is made like this one, and out of the 14 current replies only TWO people actually replied on topic. I'll be number 3, yes, I agree, I was surprised at some of the banter on MOCpages. It seems to be abused by some (...) (20 years ago, 3-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) I totally missed Alfred's rant because he replied at the top. When new text is at the top of a message, I automatically assume there is nothing new further down because very few messages do. If the first line of a message begins a quote (such (...) (20 years ago, 3-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) Heh, I think yer onto something here. Perhaps in addition to warning about top posting netiquette, lugnet should implement some sorta filter that issues an alert whenever it recognises a thread hijack in progress. Now that'd be cool! :^) Don (20 years ago, 3-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) As the self proclaimed king of bloviating (is amazing how you never hear a word for many years and then twice in the same day, once in a West Wing Ep I just watched and now here...) Anyway, (thus reinforcing my bloviation), I only read the (...) (20 years ago, 3-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) I wonder if that includes "Ender Sava", who has left some classic pearls of wisdom on at least one of my mocpages, and that of my buddy Ryan Rubino's. Is he related to you? (URL) I'd put his comments on about the same level as that of Josh (...) (20 years ago, 3-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) I dunno know, I certainly don't approve of vulgarity, but I like the fact that outsiders (non-AFOLs) can post reviews - even if they don't understand anything about the genre. And I doubt non-AFOLs would be interested in registering for it. My (...) (20 years ago, 3-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) snip (...) See that's ok though, you get a free pass because you have a pin that says "I'm from RTL". Plus you were a joy to meet in person and you always had a smile on your face. You are a rare kind of person who feels free in expressing how (...) (20 years ago, 3-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) I think Amazon handles problem reviews well (as they typically lead the Web world in community & collaboration, IMO). Users browsing their sites see "Was this review helpful to you? Yes/No" on all reviews, and there's a "Report This" link as (...) (20 years ago, 3-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

I agree totally, just look at some of these reviews: (6 URLs) I think we should have direct control of the reviews. Of course, this probally would be abused by some of the page owners.. I love MOCpages, I hate poor reviewers! (20 years ago, 3-Sep-04, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) Take a look at Joker's homepage: (URL) a single of his so called"MOC's" has a picture. Maybe I missed one but still what's the point of making a page for it if there aren't any pictures?? Those two problems are the only things I don't like (...) (20 years ago, 3-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) Hey, just a little side note about the two reviews noting the title "Lord of the LEGO" It is a rather presumptuous title. Are you really the Lord of the LEGO? I can't decide if its more or less presumptuous than "LEGOMASTER" ~Kevin Supreme (...) (20 years ago, 3-Sep-04, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) Hey, who died and made you Pope? ++Lar (who has been known to hang with watery tarts, hoping for the best) (20 years ago, 3-Sep-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) Get OE-QuoteFix (or Outlook-quotefix) from (URL) Outlook (and Express) behaves like a real program... (20 years ago, 3-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) When the Supreme Intergalactic Ultimate LEGO Council of Bishops were deciding who to make the next Supreme Intergalactic UItimate LEGO Pope, the choice was obvious. There was only one person Supreme enough. There was only one person (...) (20 years ago, 3-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) snip (...) I though we cleared that up. Why are you bagging on my old nic-name? People gave it to me. Your always gonna have this animosity towards me. Too bad really. Why can't you just let people be who they are. Your so judgmental. How (...) (20 years ago, 3-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  I hate screenname bashers (was Re: I hate MOCPages)

(...) Hmm..odd how you don't criticize my screenname at Classic-Castle.com, but you bash me everytime I post on LUGNET. My sceenname is a spoof of the Lord of the Rings - One Brick To Rule Them All, One Ring To Rule Them All, get it? I'm not trying (...) (20 years ago, 3-Sep-04, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Eric hates me? But why?

(...) Wow, I guess I should have added a " ;) " to the end of my post, as I originally had it. It's just a light hearted poke, no real harm meant... I have no problem with your friends calling you the LEGOMASTER, it is quite an appropriate nick. It (...) (20 years ago, 4-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate screenname bashers (was Re: I hate MOCPages)

(...) It's also odd that I can't joke around with my friends. Nathan, I consider you a friend, we talk online regularly. We work together at CC, remember? I am beginning to feel that humour and free speech aren't welcome here at Lugnet anymore. It (...) (20 years ago, 4-Sep-04, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: I forget...

(...) BS, you already bothered more than two people with your rude comments. Layoff already. Quit your back peddling. You called me out now deal with it. Be a Man. (...) Ya, thus your light hearted comments? You have some other stick in your craw. (...) (20 years ago, 4-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) Not to my knowledge. The direct relatives we're aware of are few and far between. It's only until recently that we've been finding 'Sava's left and right. There's actually a Sava who's a news reporter here in Houston (but no relation). (...) (...) (20 years ago, 4-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) And elsewhere in lugnet.general, Eric Sophie wrote: (...) Word, yo. Lookin out for the little guy. Eric Sophie, my man, my home boy, home slice, slice of cake, piece of pie, can of carp, ying to my yang, fig to my newton, lens to my cap, dead (...) (20 years ago, 4-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I forget...

(...) Let's all just get along. Kev's here to have a good time; it's all in fun. Don't you ever break your friends' balls? --Bram (20 years ago, 4-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I forget...

(...) k, I'll play. Though I might point out that any ball busting comes through a mutual repsect and a trust when taking liberties with people's feelings. We have to earn that first. I rather we all get along too. I'll offer a shake. Make no (...) (20 years ago, 4-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) Or, you could use Mozilla Thunderbird for email. (URL) it free (it is opensource): (URL) (20 years ago, 4-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) I think you can be quite sure it's not a person from Denmark writing that. The grammar errors are not at all typical for Scandinavian languages. Reminds me more of Russian, grammatically. BTW, that castle is great! It makes me want to build (...) (20 years ago, 4-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Ah, now I get it... ( was Re: I hate screenname bashers) (was Re: I hate MOCPages)

(...) Hey, sorry man, sometimes I just don't get a joke unless someone has to put a :-) at the end of the post (I can be pretty thick at times :D) (...) Same here...Either I don't get joke, or no one gets mine... I'm glad we've cleared all this up! (...) (20 years ago, 4-Sep-04, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

All: Sorry for the late reply on this thread ... I was away for a long holiday weekend. The reviewing mechanism on MOCpages was meant to be that - for reviews. I created it as a means for people to offer praise and/or constructive criticism. Want to (...) (20 years ago, 7-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) What about granting the ability to turn on and off the review mechanism completely? Personally, though I'm gratified by praise for my MOCs, I really could get along without the whole thing. People can still send feedback to a contact addy if (...) (20 years ago, 7-Sep-04, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: I hate MOCPages

(...) I like that idea-- it's always been an annoying bug in my mind that people will abuse the voting/reviewing right by simply cleaning out their cookies and voting/reviewing multiple times; hence boosting their favorite MOCs and (more (...) (20 years ago, 7-Sep-04, to lugnet.general)