 General / 48860

Re: I hate MOCPages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 17:56:54 GMT

I agree with your suggestions.  In fact, I think it helps cut down the trash on
Lugnet becuase you have to be registered to post, AND Lugnet always shows your
real name.

Yea, we still get trash (and different people will judge what is trash
differently), but it is not nearly as lame as this BOBO character.

I really like MOCpages, too, but yea wouldn't it be great if there could be some
controls on what was thrown into the comments.

-Alfred

In lugnet.general, Anthony Sava wrote:
Now before you climb up onto your high horse, let me begin by saying I love
MOCpages, and I think Sean Kenney is doing the community a great service.

But I hate the users on MOCpages, at least a few of them.

Since I've joined, but over the last six months in particular, I've recieved
bogus, vulgar, obscene and just plain idiotic reviews and ratings to the
creations I have posted there.  Granted, I'm not trying to claim that all my
creations deserve high ratings or high praise, but some of these reviews are
ridiculous.

An example of the most recent lousy review of mine, in my opinion:
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/1695

Well Mr. Josh Jenkins, it's MY cathedral and it's MY world that I've built.  I
don't care what your preconceived notion about what a Cathedral is and isn't,
rate the model, not the idea.

Well, ok, I'm just venting over that one.  But...

Here are plenty of examples of bogus and possibly vulgar reviews on my Black
Dragon's page:
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/1682

I've actually requested that several of "BOBO's" reviews be removed from several
of my creations (which they have been) because they were just obscene.

Another Bobo classic
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/1686

Oh look, it's Bobo.  Fun.
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/1683

Here's Josh again.
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/1700

Another pointless review, nice Job anyway to you too, Josh.

So Sean, buddy, I'm not trying to cheapen your website, cause I really do think
it's a great idea in theory.  But would it be possible to impliment a membership
requirement on reviewing and rating creations?  Without accountability,
anomynity allows for some serious abuses of the system.

If people choose to review a creation without reading the description, or rank
the MOC poorly because of personal problems with the builder, or just giving
worthless reviews in general, I can live with things of that nature.  That's
just they way some people are.

But people like Bobo need to be taken out.  It's free to join MOCPages, so it'd
only be an inconvenience to those who already are members to review or rank a
creation.  But if you had to put your own name and profile attached to a review,
I would bet it would deter the Bobos of the world, at least a little bit.

Sigh...

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, Lugnet.  Sometimes you just need to make a
public display.

--Anthony

<unrelated rant>
P.S. Lugnet tells me this when I go to post:
"You added your reply at the top of the message. Proper netiquette suggests that
you add your reply at the bottom of the message so that people can read the text
in natural order from top to bottom."

I actually don't agree with this at all.  I hate reading meaasages where you
have to scroll throught the trail to get to the new content.  I don't actually
think this is a consistent netiquette either, as I see many interent posters
using the opposite convention: new material at the top of the post.

cross posted to lugnet.admin.general for any comment.
</unrelated rant>

-Alfred

Re: I hate MOCPages
P.S. Lugnet tells me this when I go to post:
"You added your reply at the top of the message. Proper netiquette suggests that
you add your reply at the bottom of the message so that people can read the text
in natural order from top to bottom."

I actually don't agree with this at all.  I hate reading meaasages where you
have to scroll throught the trail to get to the new content.  I don't actually
think this is a consistent netiquette either, as I see many interent posters
using the opposite convention: new material at the top of the post.

See - there's your problem.  Replying on the bottom makes a lot of
sense, as long as you TRIM THE QOUTED TEXT.  Not you in particular
Alfred, but everyone.  If people just hit <end> and type their text,
there's no point.

For instance, did you really need to quote the complete message you
replied to?  For context, you could have left the paragraph with the
actual suggestion, but the rest could have been trimmed away.

Does that make sense?

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com

Re: I hate MOCPages
P.S. Lugnet tells me this when I go to post:
"You added your reply at the top of the message. Proper netiquette • suggests that
you add your reply at the bottom of the message so that people can read • the text
in natural order from top to bottom."

I actually don't agree with this at all.  I hate reading meaasages • where you
have to scroll throught the trail to get to the new content.  I don't • actually
think this is a consistent netiquette either, as I see many interent • posters
using the opposite convention: new material at the top of the post.

See - there's your problem.  Replying on the bottom makes a lot of
sense, as long as you TRIM THE QOUTED TEXT.  Not you in particular
Alfred, but everyone.  If people just hit <end> and type their text,
there's no point.

Blame MicroSoft (again :-)... stoopid Outlook has trained people to reply
at the top of messages.  It makes it hard to figure out what they are
talking about. If you try to interleave your comments it does crazy
formatting to the message and makes it worse...

I've tried to train people at  my office how to interleave replies with the
original comments (and fix the weird format problem). You'd think I was
teaching them how to talk Klingon... :-/

Re: I hate MOCPages
In lugnet.general, Stephen F. Roberts wrote:
You'd think I was teaching them how to talk Klingon... :-/

nuqDaq yuch Dapol!

-Jason

Re: I hate MOCPages
In lugnet.general, Stephen F. Roberts wrote:
Blame MicroSoft (again :-)... stoopid Outlook has trained people to reply
at the top of messages.  It makes it hard to figure out what they are
talking about. If you try to interleave your comments it does crazy
formatting to the message and makes it worse...

I've tried to train people at  my office how to interleave replies with the
original comments (and fix the weird format problem). You'd think I was
teaching them how to talk Klingon... :-/

Oh, Oh, teach me!  So, how do you set Outlook to do the right thing?
I always have to cutNpaste things into an emacs window and reformat,
then interleave the replies, and paste it all back.  And even then,
Outlook always wants to show how smart it is by mangling the pasted
text.

Don

Warning, FUT set to geek.

Re: I hate MOCPages
Blame MicroSoft (again :-)... stoopid Outlook has trained people to reply
at the top of messages.  It makes it hard to figure out what they are
talking about. If you try to interleave your comments it does crazy
formatting to the message and makes it worse...

I've tried to train people at  my office how to interleave replies with the
original comments (and fix the weird format problem). You'd think I was
teaching them how to talk Klingon... :-/

Oh, Oh, teach me!  So, how do you set Outlook to do the right thing?
I always have to cutNpaste things into an emacs window and reformat,
then interleave the replies, and paste it all back.  And even then,
Outlook always wants to show how smart it is by mangling the pasted
text.

When you hit reply, it does that stoopid indent thing. You just have to go
down to where you want to insert things and use the "decrease indent" (has
a little left arrow beside some horizontal bars). You may need to do an
"add /remove buttons" to find it.

I do not know _why_ it doesnt just change indent level automatically when
you hit enter, but I guess that would be too convenient...

Then you've got to use the "font colour" button to turn your text black (at
least around here, it tries to make the original message blue).

If it were just doing the decrease indent, I think people would catch on,
but having to unindent and then change colours just gets too many little
steps for most simple messages (a whole two :-)...

Course, it would be _great_ if exchange would do that little trick like
LUGNET does and send a message back to you about netiquete if you put the
reply at the top... Maybe then people would get a clue...

or even better, a strong electric shock through the KB if they do it wrong...

---
wubwub
aka  stephen f roberts

wildbrick.com  -  Jain's Guide : Promoting more than just the MOC

Re: I hate MOCPages
In lugnet.general, Stephen F. Roberts wrote:
Blame MicroSoft (again :-)... stoopid Outlook has trained people to
reply at the top of messages. [...]

Oh, Oh, teach me!  So, how do you set Outlook to do the right thing?

Get OE-QuoteFix (or Outlook-quotefix) from

http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/

Suddenly Outlook (and Express) behaves like a real program...

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD:  http://w1.161.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

Re: I hate MOCPages
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Anders Isaksson wrote:
Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.general, Stephen F. Roberts wrote:
Blame MicroSoft (again :-)... stoopid Outlook has trained people to
reply at the top of messages. [...]

Oh, Oh, teach me!  So, how do you set Outlook to do the right thing?

Get OE-QuoteFix (or Outlook-quotefix) from

http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/

Suddenly Outlook (and Express) behaves like a real program...

Or, you could use Mozilla Thunderbird for email.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/

Downlad it free (it is opensource):

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/#install

Re: I hate MOCPages