 General / 48859
Re: Definitive list of LEGO Themes needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 15:23:50 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   I’m in search of a two things, and I bet some helpful persons here can provide:
  1. A definitive list of LEGO product themes;
  2. As comprehensive a list of fan-derived groupings, themes, and sub-themes as possible.
Why? What a question. ‘Cuz.

OK, I really do have a reason. I’m putting together a geeky project called LENNI (insert standard “no relation to Hoffman” disclaimer), as described in this eye-watering thread.

Sounds like what would be *best* is a nice little heirarchy that contains several hundred items-- Because if I liked (say) Res-Q, but don’t really care that much about the rest of town, I might not want to sign up for “Town”, but I might want to say “tell me whenever a Res-Q topic comes up”. There’s a kabillion things you could divide this into. But more likely: What if I’m interested in (say) MLCAD news, but I’m NOT interested in hearing about part authoring?

Question is, how much human effort is needed? (Maybe this has already been discussed-- forgive me for not having read the other thread, and I’m not totally up on RSS, either) If there’s a list of 500 themes, topics, subthemes and subtopics, how many little checkboxes (or whatnot) is someone going to need to check off for each message? Ideally you’d probably want to narrow it down to a list of like, 30 or so, but at that size you’ll never hope to encompass everything. Just doing a quick rundown, I got a list of 115 themes, subthemes, and major topics (didn’t even start subtopics)

Some ‘major categories’ that others haven’t already mentioned: - Alpha Team - Primo - Quatro - Rock Raiders - Soft (those 6x big foam bricks) - Studios - Time (Cruisers/Twisters)

And then there’s other stuff that doesn’t really ‘fit’ into a sub-category. Like, say, Throwbots or Cyberslam. Sure they supposedly fit under ‘Technic’, but most technic people probably don’t particularly care about them, and Throwbot/Cyberslam people might easily not be interested in the rest of Technic. Do they deserve to be root nodes? Other subthemse are clear subthemes, like M-Tron or Ice Planet, which are probably pretty easily contained within Space.

DaveE